UNIQUE

• Last Post 15 May 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
sergeant69 posted this 07 May 2020

wheres the unique powder? no one has any! use it in 500 S&W, 45 colt, 44, etc etc and its gone. everyone shows back order on internet. please lemme know if u know where i can locate some. thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Shuz posted this 07 May 2020

I have found that Green Dot is a good powder to use in the. 44 mag. During this time of shortage,you may want to consider another powder.

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 07 May 2020

Graf & Son has both Green Dot and Herco in stock. Green Dot is faster than Unique but Herco is a bit slower than Unique and I might try that myself. Components are getting hard to find. Good luck. Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 07 May 2020

While I have not used it, people claim that Hodgdon Universal can substitute for Unique in most applications.   

I have found that in .32 ACP, .38 Special, .45 ACP, .44-40, I can substitute Olin AutoComp, using the same volumetric measure setting as for a safe, pressure-tested load of Bullseye with the same bullet weight.  AutoComp is very dense and takes up less space, but falls in burning rate in a range similar to Power Pistol, HS6, W630 or Herco.  The fine particle size measures uniformly and it burns clean.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • admiral
  • Bud Hyett
sergeant69 posted this 07 May 2020

actually i need it for a S&W 500. we're using 19.2 with a 320 gr cast and its a good lower end load for old sore hands and wrists but the supply is low. i don't mind substituting another powder as long as the recoil is the same. the guy that owns/shoots it i am teaching to reload and we have a gong at 121 yds and he giggles everytime he hits it. its worth the price of admission just to see that. he wants to use this load on whitetail

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 08 May 2020

Just before the SHTF with the beer virus happened I went to the CMP Western Games. Only part was cancelled but the early matches went on. Since I was in Phoenix anyway I took advantage of Bruno's Shooter Supply's sale of powder to get Unique at half price. $60 for four pounds and no hazmat! I wish I had gotten more aggressive on my buying given the turn of events... By the way, the Phoenix Cabelas is amazing. They even have a place to let your horses out to stretch their legs! If you ever have a chance to shoot at Ben Avery shooting center, take it. Bruno's seems to have plenty of stock, so you might check them out.

Dave

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 08 May 2020

will do thanks

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 11 May 2020

There are many powders for medium velocity loads in the 500 S&W.

Titegroup is perfect and in stock at Powder Valley.

325 gr 12 gr 1150 fps (Hodgdon website)

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 11 May 2020

found some at a local (for these parts) at a LGS 45 minutes away. $130 for 8 lbs. 

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 12 May 2020

Power Pistol has replaced Unique as a medium rate all around powder on my bench. Power Pistol grains are small and measure precisely, like a ball powder. This is an advantage over Unique, Universal, Green Dot etc.

It is double base and has a wide pressure range. Works well in 380, 9mm, 45 ACP, 38/357,44 Special  and 44 Magnum. In the Magnums you can go from 50% to 90% of maximum velocity, the 50% loads burn clean with reasonable standard deviation.  

Slightly slower than Unique, Unique data is safe if you don't have data for your use. Like Unique has no flash suppressants or copper fouling agents, which cast bullets don't need.  

Because it is less popular than Unique it has always been on the shelf locally.

Steve    

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 May 2020

Steve,

Who makes/sells Pistol Powder?

John

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 12 May 2020

I have used UNIQUE for more than 50 years: pistol, rifle , and even 20 gauge. Like BULLSEYE it has stood the test of time. The others come and go.

beagle6

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Gregor
Eutectic posted this 14 May 2020

John,

Power Pistol is made by Alliant Tech Systems. The same people who make Unique and Bullseye.

Power Pistol is not new, it was developed for NATO standard 9mm Luger ammunition and was used in millions of rounds of commercial and government ammunition before it was available to reloaders. Power Pistol has been available in cannisters since 1996. It is the same basic composition as Bullseye and Unique, high % nitroglycerine, very stable.

Unique has the advantage of age, there is a lot of loading data for Unique.

Steve

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 May 2020

Sorry Steve,

Sorry for the dumb question.  I misread your post. Thanks for the answer it sounds like it might be a powder for my weird 223 loads. If I can find any.  I was in Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and they were almost out of powder and were out of small primers.  I thought the nervous nellies would have hoarded enough in the last couple of months to defend their toilet paper from the neighbors.  

John

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 15 May 2020

John,  order some via the SW website and have it shipped to the store.  Right now it seems a lot of the powder is held in the distribution center.   If you order via SW (sportsman's) and have it shipped to the store there's no hazmat or shipping fee.

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 15 May 2020

will keep that in mind, but as stated, i found a ton at a shooting range/lgs nearby. thanks

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 May 2020

Thanks Bill.  I will try ordering through the store.

John

Attached Files

Close