Top punch

• Last Post 07 December 2020
makpeter posted this 20 November 2020

Hello,

I bought a new mould from NOE 227-39-SP and live in Europe, forgot to order a top punch for this bullet for RCBS or Lyman. I send some mails to NOE but with the Covid situation they don't answer

I can buy a top punch here in Belgium but i need the corredt numer for it

Does somebody knows what number it is?

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
ray h posted this 07 December 2020

Squid that is  clever. 

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 07 December 2020

Mmm...a bullet, as opposed to a loaded round or cartridge, is simply an inert piece of metal. Trying to understand why that would be a problem to send from anywhere, to anywhere, especially one instance of. Not trying to be a smart arse here, just wondering if the world has totally gone to custard without me noticing? You are just discussing the sending a projectile - right?

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

makpeter posted this 22 November 2020

Hi Squid Boy.I'm looking for a pencil and paper and get started

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 22 November 2020

Peter, I am not sure about the laws for sending bullets from Belgium but maybe we can do it by using a rubbing of your mold. Take your mold out of the handles and use the side of a pencil and a piece of paper stretched tightly over the mold half. Rub the pencil across the cavity to make an image of the bullet. Send that to me and I believe I can make one. Here are a couple of pictures.

Mold Rubbing I

Mold Rubbing II

I hope this helps, Good luck, Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 22 November 2020

Peter, if you are using a Lee push through die then the top punch will not work anyway. You need a pusher shaped for the nose of your bullet. If I am mistaken about what you are using then I apologize. Send me one of your bullets and I will make one for you. No cost. Thanks, Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

makpeter posted this 21 November 2020

I was tired of searching the net and coming across the same picture of the top punch over and over again.Then I placed an order with NOE for a top puch and holder for the bullet. So now we have to wait for the parts to arrive

Attached Files

Hi, I totally agree with you. But first I have to know which top puch is closest to it and then adjust it.On the internet I learned that there are also from Saeco. I would like one that takes as little work as possible

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 21 November 2020

Al does not number his top punches. You may just have to find the closest Lyman, RCBS, ect. to it or modify it. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Dean D. posted this 21 November 2020

Makpeter, have you tried asking this question on the NOE forum?  It's been a few years since I spent much time there and it was a bit quiet then but its worth a try.  I don't know if Dromia is still there, he used to be Admin/Mod there and if he's still active I'm sure he can give you an answer.  Hope this helps.  Good luck!

Attached Files

Hi, that is also my idea to do but what I would like to know is the number on the toppuch for this bullet

There is my problem, every top punch is different and I can order it here I hope but I have to have the right number and I cannot reach anyone at NOE. On the site there you only get the size of the mold and for a top punch from RCBS that use the last three digits of the mold but is this also the case here or do I have to have a different number? On the site here in Belgium there are at least 60 or 70 top puches on it, but it is always the same photo that is included and no explanation whether it is for a FP, RN or SP. and if I put them up side down then this is the result.

Thank you

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 20 November 2020

Peter, Sorry I didn't realize you were using a Lee push through die. I use them all the time and make my own pushers to go on my press ram so I can push them in base first. I don't use gas checks but expect that they would seat them just fine. A machinist could easily make one for you. I found small fins and somewhat deformed bases when pushing them nose first and got better accuracy pushing them through base first. Good luck, Squid Boy

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Squid Boy posted this 20 November 2020

Peter,

Here is a link to the NOE site for your bullet. I think they modify existing Lyman top punches to fit their bullets. Maybe you could get a machinist to modify one that might be available there. You could give him one of yours or maybe use epoxy and mold a punch to fit. Good luck, Squid

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/224/227-79-sp-b5

"Squid Pro Quo"

Attached Files

Close