Throating

• Last Post 24 June 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
Ross Smith posted this 23 June 2022

I didn't want to pirate Fitzpatrick's discussion , so I'll start a new one. Is throating necessary? Won't a bore ride bullet in a barrel with little or no throat be just as good as a barrel/chamber with 3/8" throat where you have to fit the bullet to the throat? I know this is going to get complicated and I apologize in advance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wm Cook posted this 24 June 2022

Ross is there a particular cartridge you’re working on? If you follow the traditional thought that the bullet should not be seated deeper than the case neck a lot of the pro/cons of bullet design and throating will fall into place.

But IMHO the bore rider design is the most user friendly design to work with. Maybe or maybe not the most accurate design, but it gives you something to easily set up and shoot while you sort out fit for a spitzer, tapered or a combo tapered bore rider design (31-230E) and whether or not out anything needs to happen with throating.

IMHO for the bore rider to shoot reasonably well there’s a couple conditions that are important:

1) Like Rick said the fit of the front size drive band into the throat/freebore.

2) The fit between the nose diameter of the bullet and the diameter of the bore.

Of the two I’d put more need to fit free bore than bore rider nose to bore fit. But both are important.

Flags go up if the bullet nose won’t fit in the bore and the base is being pushed back into the shoulder area or if the bore is so oversized there’s little or no contact between the bullet and the bore. Just my opinion, Bill Cook.

Patience isn’t a virtue, it’s a delay tactic.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • John Alexander
RicinYakima posted this 24 June 2022

I like enough  throat to have the front full size drive band solidly into the tapered throat. I have not had bore riders shoot well for me, but then I try to avoid them if possible. FWIW

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 23 June 2022

Pro's and Con's to throat length. I like a little throat to allow a bit of run-up before engagement of the rifling. A longer throat reduces peak pressure too. Too long a throat can encourage bullet tipping before rifling engagement. A longer throat allows a longer bullet seating depth or a longer C.O.A.L. if your prefer that term. My quarter-bore (25-06) with the 75gr bullets likes a short throat. My 300 Win Mag with 190gr bullets likes a longer throat.

The factory throat on my 30-30 T/C barrel gives me Minute of Deer accuracy so I never worried about it. With cast bullets, the 170gr is a bore rider anyway so it's all good.

Bottom line is some prefer no throat and some prefer a longer throat. There can be mixed preferences based on caliber and purpose.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Close