Sticky Powder

• Last Post 09 November 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
BigMan54 posted this 20 October 2018

I have a problem with TiteGroup sticking to the sides of my HORNADY L-N-L Powder Measure. Every time I use TiteGroup in my Progressive.

I have to remove the plastic hopper and take it out to the lawn to wipe it clean by running a hand towel all the way through the hopper and shaking out the towel and doing it two or three times. I also disassemble the housing and drum.

I have the same problem with my RCBS Little Dandy.

Any ideas ?

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
shake posted this 20 October 2018

Wipe out powder hopper and powder measure with Cling Free dryer sheets.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
OU812 posted this 20 October 2018

Wipe out the inside with a used Cling Free (anti static drier sheets). Static is the problem.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 21 October 2018

BigMan54, Used dryer sheets, and works poorly in areas of low humidity. That is one of the reasons titegroup is not very popular here in the desert. Even Bullseye is better, but Accurate #2 works well here. Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
BigMan54 posted this 21 October 2018

Ross,

Wouldn't brake cleaner damage the plastic of the hopper? 

Ric,

Humidity here is 37% right know. This has been going on for several years.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
OU812 posted this 21 October 2018

Ground wire maybe? Or change powder

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Hornet posted this 21 October 2018

Back in the Stone Age, they used to recommend washing plastic hoppers with Joy dish soap and letting them air dry. It seems to work with Lee powder measure scoops as well.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 October 2018

re::  ground wire ... might be worth a try ... when i did our bead blasting, i grounded MYSELF ... aluminum foil on the skin under my jockeys, and a flexy wire to the center mounting screw on a wall outlet ....... else i received painful shocks every few seconds ....

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Wineman posted this 22 October 2018

BM54,

You wont like this but get a can of graphite spray and OUTSIDE in a place you don't care about, spray the inside of the hopper. It will look ugly, it will make a mess and your problem will be over. If your need to have a sparkling clean hopper is greater than wasting all that Tight Group, so be it. You could always order another hopper for the less static challenged powders and keep the dark one for TG.

Let us know if you give it a try.

Dave

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • DBW
Bud Hyett posted this 20 October 2018

Preventive action is to wipe out the plastic tubes annually. The anti-static seems to wear out after time. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 20 October 2018

That DOES NOT WORK. In fact it seems to make it worse.

Used dryer sheets ?  I've only tried fresh ones. ????

Guess I'll try the used ones.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 21 October 2018

I just bought a pricey used powder measure that threw inconsistent charges. Cleaned it with brake cleaner. Works ok now.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 21 October 2018

I have a 14+lbs of TITEGROUP,  changing powders is not an option.

I did wash out the hopper with DAWN & let it air dry on the window sill.

We'll see what happens tonight or tommorrow. 

This didn't seem to happen when I first started using TITEGROUP, 20yrs ago.

Maybe the composition of the plastic in the new hoppers has changed ?  

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 21 October 2018

Yes it probably will. Just use it on the metal stuff. It will get rid of the junk that's been accumulating for the past 20 years. As for the plastic, good old windex.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 October 2018

The alternative is to dump 1/8 teaspoons of powdered graphite into a pound of powder and mix it well.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 22 October 2018

WOW,

Too many choices. THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT IDEA'S.

Didn't get out to load tonight, try again in the morning.

Wrapping copper wipe around the hopper, Isn't that sorta the same thing they did in WW2 to throw off the magnetic detonators on torpedo's ?

Think I'll try that first, it'll require the least amount of effort. A couple of wraps around the outside of the hopper, and then I'll hold the other end between my teeth.

Ross, My Powder Measure is CLEAN !  As I have to completely disassembly it every time I use Titegroup.

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 22 October 2018

I use TiteGroup  in more different calibers than any other powder. It doesn't seem to me to be THAT much of a problem to clean the hopper when I'm finished for the day.  Yes, TiteGroup will etch the plastic if left in the hopper for extended lengths of time. I just take a minute or two and wipe things out with a used dryer sheet and I'm good. One advantage I have is that I've got a lot of different powder throwers so I can dedicate one to a type of powder For met the cheap Lee PPM works great with TiteGroup. Also I don't use any presses that are more progressive than the Lee Classic Turret or the Redding T-7 so I don't have too much to tear down to accomplish the chore.  Love my TiteGroup even here in the SW Idaho Desert. Gp

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 22 October 2018

GP,

Thanks for the comments. I use Titegroup because at WINTER RANGE 1998? it was so blasted cold that I was having a bit of a problem with inconsistent ignition. The HODGDON Rep was there and gave me a sample of Titegroup, He said it didn't have a problem with low temp or position sensitivity in the case. I tried it and was pleased with it. I still use BULLSEYE in my .38Spl & .45ACP target loads.

I can only load about 300 rounds at a time before my right shoulder gives out. Then I gotta wait at least a day before trying again.

I don't really have that big of a  problem with cleaning out the powder measure after using Titegroup, just hate pulling out the nylon pin thingy's that hold the hopper to the cast iron base, it's just I don't seem to remember having this problem 12+yrs ago when I stopped reloading every thing but .44Mag Cowboy loads. I used the older HORNADY Powder measure back then, PUT THE NEW L-N-L on 2 1/2 years ago.. 

Now that I'm typing this I think I might try and replace the L-N-L measure with it's predecessor. maybe the composition of the old hopper is different.

I do still wanna try that copper wire wrap thing though, maybe just not hold it in my teeth.  

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 22 October 2018

Back in the late Pleistocene (late 1970's) they made an electron gun you could use to discharge your LP's to help remove and keep dust off them.  I used it in the dark room to do the same with negatives.  Perhaps something similar would be of help. 

I would run the wire from the hopper to a water pipe as a ground.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 23 October 2018

Old Coot,

LP ? Are you talking about LONG PLAYING RECORDS, 33 1/3 ?

I'd switched to cassettes by then. 

I'm trying to figure out how to string 40ft of copper wire from the back corner of my garage to the opposite front corner and along the eaves to a hose bibb. 

I just found the old dead mutilated L-N-L hopper from years back, the one I left TITEGROUP sitting in for a couple of months. Geez am I dumb.

AH, SHOOT, THIS IS A PAIN !

Attached Files

steveco posted this 24 October 2018

After dumping the Titegroup from my my LNL hopper I use canned air (for cleaning computers, etc.) to blow the remaining flakes down to the bottom. A few throws and they're out.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close