Starline .38-55 Brass

• Last Post 17 October 2017
David Reiss posted this 17 October 2017

I have a .38-55 Winchester Wrangler II, still new in the box, I bought in the early 80s. (I also have the Wrangler I in .32 sp.) I am thinking about shooting them, but it's tough to pull the trigger (pun intended). Anyway in looking into getting some .38-55 brass I found that they make two lengths. Does anybody know if the longer length will chamber in the Winchester? 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 October 2017

hi dave ... i have been playing that same game for a couple years with the 38-55 s ....it seems there are variations on variations .... so ::

do an image of the chamber AND THROAT ... ( g )   the throats vary also ... the ones i am playing with  are old '94 s .

to save lead i put a metal rod in the case  as a spacer ... leave 1/3 inch for the soft lead .   if you don't have a 38-55 case just use a 30-30 case and pound a little longer ... or cut the neck off the 30-30 .

remember 100 little taps are easier on your bolt locks ... than 15 big bangs ...  if you have no soft lead just melt a dozen 22 lr " heads " ...

ken

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 17 October 2017

Or, get a .375" chamber length button from NOE for $3.50 or so and follow the instructions. Quick easy  and painless.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 17 October 2017

All the Marlin, Savage, Winchester, Browning and Ruger rifles I've shot in 38-55 and 375 Win have all taken the longer 38-55 brass with no problems. They have varied in throat diameter from 0.377" to 0.381" though.

Attached Files

Close