Squirrel Postal 2023 - spin off

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 23 June 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
MarkinEllensburg posted this 14 April 2023

Let's do  this. I'll volunteer. We can use these targets https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014990380?pid=248812

You can buy your own or I can order them and mail two to each shooter. $3.50 gets you two targets. postage paid to you, however I would like to get a count soon so as to be able to order enough to meet demand.

I suggest one shot at each bull and critter with any cast bullet rifle, any field position. One target each at 50 and 100 yards.

@Fitzpatrick if you are willing we could have everyone mail completed targets to you by June 25. You can score them, diamond in middle is X, black center is ten, first ring out is 9 outside of that is 8, off bull circle is 0. Critters is special closest to center, number of participants equals the score on each, add all 4 scores together for overall ranking. For example 10 shooters, dead center hit by just one shooter scores 10 points, Next closest scores 9 points farthest away 1 point.

This assumes we finalize and I order by 4-20, mail targets to shooters by 5-8.

Thoughts? In or not? Deadline for entry with me supplying target is 4-19, after that any shooter that wants to purchase same target on their own is welcome to shoot and submit by the deadline.

Please order targets via pm. I will reply with my address for payment. We will include @Fitzpatrick's contact in PM or with the targets so you know where to return. 

I have extended dates as above so that folks have more time to decide. 

Please limit discussion to this match only on this thread. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fitzpatrick posted this 22 May 2023

Had a good day for a tree-rat shoot , didn't do as well as hoped but still had a great day. Looking forward to getting those targets from you all 

Thanks James

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 03 June 2023

When we center punch the first shot, why don’t we pack our things and go home?

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 21 April 2023

Targets are in. Bulls on left are 2" bulls on right are 2.5", I didn't measure the circles over the squirrel's heads. I am very impressed at the quality of these targets. Glad I bought extra. There is still time to enter if you are on the fence or in the blind, or on the tree stand....

For the entries that I have received targets will be mailed on Monday. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Shopdog
MarkinEllensburg posted this 02 June 2023

Hoping for less wind this weekend to finish up my entry. First shot at 50 yards was a near perfect center punch and then it went down hill.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Fitzpatrick
MarkinEllensburg posted this 03 June 2023

I think I'll not be winning anything here. LOL

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Waleone
Fitzpatrick posted this 23 June 2023

Just checking to make sure That I have all targets in my possession to be scored , will work on these this weekend . thanks to all that participated, was fun

Thanks James

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
  • Bud Hyett
Shopdog posted this 14 April 2023

I'm in,PM sent.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Waleone posted this 14 April 2023

I'm in also, PM sent.

Wayne

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
David Reiss posted this 15 April 2023

I'm in, but have my own targets.  

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Fitzpatrick posted this 16 April 2023

I do believe we have a match , let the fun begin.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 April 2023

i can send my spreadsheet from the 2019 rabbit shoot ... save a couple hours and can auto-sort according to sights and whatever you might like to add  ... or multiple sorts etc..  i use it under the free OfficeLibre, also works under most Microsoft Office ... also probably under free Open Office.

would send with 2019 rabbit results so you can see what I did with it.  you can then * SAVE AS * it with no data and have a fresh blank spreadsheet but with the manipulating directions left working.

if interested, I need an e-mail, cant send CBA PM here .

i am in for the shoot ... hope for at least 2 guns, i have ordered targets, my neighbor kids like to shoot at picture targets.

ken

ps ... inflation alert ... // ...   free shipping at midway was $75 this time ... never know when our Iowa opposums might attack and then i will need those 200 hornady 35 200 gr.  interlocks i ordered to save $12 postage ... are they gonna kick ?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Wm Cook posted this 16 April 2023

I'm new to this.  Am I right in thinking that there are 8 bulls/ 8 shots taken per target?  Thanks, Bill.

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
MarkinEllensburg posted this 18 April 2023

Midway says targets and the rest of my loot should arrive to my doorstep on Thursday. I will be surprised since it was just leaving Kansas this morning. As soon as I see them in person I can better describe the actual bulls sizing. 

I would like to see someone take the reins on an iron sight only 25/50 yard match with perhaps downloadable targets (or full color)... critters only like the 'yote shoot Ken ran a few years ago. Informal matches are fun. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 April 2023

Mark ... for us here outliars who have our own targets ... please note here the final rules and where to send our fired targets to you and anything else I am forgetting that might apply to us here with special needs  ...

my targets came in ... looks like fun ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
MarkinEllensburg posted this 26 April 2023

First targets are being mailed Wednesday 4-26.

Following note included:

Thanks for taking part in the 2023 Squirrel Postal Shoot!

A review of the rules is in order.

·       Two targets per entry

·       One shot per bull and each squirrel head.

·       Shoot one at 50 yards

·       Shoot the other at 100 yards

·       Any field position

·       Any sight

·       Any cast bullet cartridge

·       Bipods okay

·       Shooting sticks are okay

·       No bench.

·       Mail completed targets to Fitzpatrick, address below by June 15.

·       Send pm to Mark in Ellensburg with the following data so that we can put you in the database for publication

DATA Sheet info:

Cartridge

Bullet

Powder and charge

Primer

Lube or PC

GC or PBB

Firearm

Sights

Position(s) (can be different between distances)

Filler (if used)

For those providing their own targets If you pm me the above details I will reply with address to submit targets.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
GWarden posted this 29 April 2023

Count me in. PM sent.

Bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Waleone posted this 02 May 2023

Woo Hoo, targets came today! Now to decide what to use to put holes in them. I'm thinking my Rem. 700 in 300 BLK with good old 311284, they actually shot better for me through a suppressor!

Wayne

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
Waleone posted this 08 June 2023

OK, time to show my embarrassing attempt;

Lesson learned, I need to do one of the below;

1. Get my dead ass off the bench and shoot field positions more, or...

2. Stick with shooting from the bench.

I'm going to try #1 first!

Wayne

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
MarkinEllensburg posted this 15 June 2023

As of yesterday Fitzpatrick has only received a couple entries. If you participated please advise if you have mailed targets. If you haven't sent load and rifle data please do. This was fun yet quite humbling. 

I still have a pile of targets, might have to do another shoot with a different set of rules. Stay tuned for that.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
Tom Acheson posted this 16 April 2023

We owe a debt of thanks to Mark for taking this on!

Those are nice looking squirrels. Reminds me of the two in our backyard that my wife feeds. I have a .177 air rifle but I’d better not be seen lining it up on one of the “buddies”.

I probably will not do this match. If I did, I’d like to use my Model 74 Sharps in 40 2 1/2 with black powder but the iron sights won’t let me see the squirrel’s head distinct enough to try to hit it. It might work @ 50-yards but no way @ 100-yards.

Tom

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close