Squirrel Postal 2023 - spin off

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 23 June 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
MarkinEllensburg posted this 14 April 2023

Let's do  this. I'll volunteer. We can use these targets https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014990380?pid=248812

You can buy your own or I can order them and mail two to each shooter. $3.50 gets you two targets. postage paid to you, however I would like to get a count soon so as to be able to order enough to meet demand.

I suggest one shot at each bull and critter with any cast bullet rifle, any field position. One target each at 50 and 100 yards.

@Fitzpatrick if you are willing we could have everyone mail completed targets to you by June 25. You can score them, diamond in middle is X, black center is ten, first ring out is 9 outside of that is 8, off bull circle is 0. Critters is special closest to center, number of participants equals the score on each, add all 4 scores together for overall ranking. For example 10 shooters, dead center hit by just one shooter scores 10 points, Next closest scores 9 points farthest away 1 point.

This assumes we finalize and I order by 4-20, mail targets to shooters by 5-8.

Thoughts? In or not? Deadline for entry with me supplying target is 4-19, after that any shooter that wants to purchase same target on their own is welcome to shoot and submit by the deadline.

Please order targets via pm. I will reply with my address for payment. We will include @Fitzpatrick's contact in PM or with the targets so you know where to return. 

I have extended dates as above so that folks have more time to decide. 

Please limit discussion to this match only on this thread. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fitzpatrick posted this 23 June 2023

Just checking to make sure That I have all targets in my possession to be scored , will work on these this weekend . thanks to all that participated, was fun

Thanks James

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
  • Bud Hyett
kootne posted this 16 June 2023

I finally got out to do this yesterday. Thought I would verify my scope before going for score. Not a pretty picture. I was getting random shifting of the group by about 3 inches at 50 yards. Essentially 2 groups after I shot enough and then started getting miss-fires every few shots. Finally figured out the firing pin seems to be binding. So I will not be returning my targets to be scored. Thanks for the opportunity, I will try to better prepared next time.

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 15 June 2023

As of yesterday Fitzpatrick has only received a couple entries. If you participated please advise if you have mailed targets. If you haven't sent load and rifle data please do. This was fun yet quite humbling. 

I still have a pile of targets, might have to do another shoot with a different set of rules. Stay tuned for that.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
Waleone posted this 08 June 2023

OK, time to show my embarrassing attempt;

Lesson learned, I need to do one of the below;

1. Get my dead ass off the bench and shoot field positions more, or...

2. Stick with shooting from the bench.

I'm going to try #1 first!

Wayne

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
MarkinEllensburg posted this 03 June 2023

I think I'll not be winning anything here. LOL

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • Waleone
Boschloper posted this 03 June 2023

When we center punch the first shot, why don’t we pack our things and go home?

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 02 June 2023

Hoping for less wind this weekend to finish up my entry. First shot at 50 yards was a near perfect center punch and then it went down hill.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • Fitzpatrick
Fitzpatrick posted this 02 June 2023

Great Hope this wasn't a one legged butt kicking contest, looking forward to seeing the targets , ya'll had me nervous .

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 02 June 2023

Forgot to snap a picture before I sent my targets in.  They weren’t as good as yours anyway.

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 02 June 2023

What's the deal no one shooting anymore , this is pathetic .

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 22 May 2023

Had a good day for a tree-rat shoot , didn't do as well as hoped but still had a great day. Looking forward to getting those targets from you all 

Thanks James

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 17 May 2023

I was asked a question via PM if it was okay to use a different rifle for each distance. Since this is an informal match I replied that yes that would be fine as long as we have the data on each so that we can make note in the results. 

Reasoning is each distance has two parts, score and closest to center of the critter bull.

Please send me a PM with your tech data so I can enter it in the spreadsheet. 

Good thing that I have so many targets... it may take me a few to sight in using my .25-06 No. 1 prone with bipod. 

Attached Files

Waleone posted this 02 May 2023

Woo Hoo, targets came today! Now to decide what to use to put holes in them. I'm thinking my Rem. 700 in 300 BLK with good old 311284, they actually shot better for me through a suppressor!

Wayne

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
GWarden posted this 29 April 2023

Count me in. PM sent.

Bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
David Reiss posted this 27 April 2023

It was in the other thread. I plan to shoot rifles in .32 S&W L, .357 mag and .44 mag using fixed sights. As someone said on the other thread, who wants to shoot squirrels at 100 yards. Why can't a .25 yard be added for those who want to shoot like I want? Why can't you select which of the three or all ranges? 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 26 April 2023

What happened to shooting at 25 yards? I don't care to shoot at a squirrel at 100 yards. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 26 April 2023

First targets are being mailed Wednesday 4-26.

Following note included:

Thanks for taking part in the 2023 Squirrel Postal Shoot!

A review of the rules is in order.

·       Two targets per entry

·       One shot per bull and each squirrel head.

·       Shoot one at 50 yards

·       Shoot the other at 100 yards

·       Any field position

·       Any sight

·       Any cast bullet cartridge

·       Bipods okay

·       Shooting sticks are okay

·       No bench.

·       Mail completed targets to Fitzpatrick, address below by June 15.

·       Send pm to Mark in Ellensburg with the following data so that we can put you in the database for publication

DATA Sheet info:

Cartridge

Bullet

Powder and charge

Primer

Lube or PC

GC or PBB

Firearm

Sights

Position(s) (can be different between distances)

Filler (if used)

For those providing their own targets If you pm me the above details I will reply with address to submit targets.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 April 2023

Mark ... for us here outliars who have our own targets ... please note here the final rules and where to send our fired targets to you and anything else I am forgetting that might apply to us here with special needs  ...

my targets came in ... looks like fun ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
MarkinEllensburg posted this 21 April 2023

Targets are in. Bulls on left are 2" bulls on right are 2.5", I didn't measure the circles over the squirrel's heads. I am very impressed at the quality of these targets. Glad I bought extra. There is still time to enter if you are on the fence or in the blind, or on the tree stand....

For the entries that I have received targets will be mailed on Monday. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Shopdog
  • Fitzpatrick
MarkinEllensburg posted this 19 April 2023

Am I the only one that is confused? We have to similar threads here. Are they the same or different matches?

David, I doubt you are the only one confused. One match two threads. The other was overly long and had too many tangents so I started a new one to only discuss current match. 

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close