Savage 23d .32-20

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 17 April 2020
Ed Harris posted this 28 July 2017

Figured I should start a new thread.

When I was a kid a neighbor had a Savage 23 in .25-20 which we poached deer with.  Despite the bore being ugly, it shot fine.  Frank Marshall showed us kids how to reload ammo on an Ideal tong tool and we cast bullets from the mold in the end.  My buddy Tom in Alaska still has that rifle.

Always had a soft spot in my heart for one, and after I won the auction on the S&W .32-20 hand ejector I knew I needed a rifle to go with it.  Winchester '92s are simply too much money and I am a boltgun kind of guy, so when I found a well preserved, un-Bubbaed 23D up in Tioga County, PA listed on GunBroker I had to bid, and I got lucky!

So, does anybody else have one of these?  How does it shoot? What loads do you use?

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wheel Weights posted this 17 April 2020

Once upon a time I had a 47 rifle collection of 1919. M19, M1922, M23 Savages including the factory experimental 44-40.

They all shot great due to one piece receiver/barrel.

The speed lock models were D&T for Weaver N side mounts. Others can be rigged up using existing holes and the blank airgun/tipoff rail available from Brownells.

Long ago before my hair was white. Display won 1st @ Rochester NY Gun Show.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 26 July 2019

Ed,

Again I'll check. I can't promise anything. I stated how busy he is and his time is limited. I can't say what he will say. And as I stated before he doesn't rely on his writing for a living income. He's under the gun at the present he is under contract with Kensington to do about 9 sequels on one particular novel and gets under the gun meeting deadlines like a lot of other authors do. The last time he was in he would go out on the tractor and brush hog a few hours and think ideas in his writings and then go to the house and write for a few days. I never question him much about his writing but he appears to be trying to reach a deadline. I know he wouldn't be tickled to do it if he wasn't so pressured. But, I'll ask.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 26 July 2019

Hello Ed,

My sons books are also available at most Wal-Mart stores. The problem is, Walmart doesn't order their books directly themselves. There is a middle man organization that has a contract with Walmart and sends Walmart what they think will sell in that specific area. When his first book was released by Kensington press, the middle man group didn't send any to the Wal-marts in this area. That really made a lot of sense, since most of his novels were written about locations in this part of the country. That was changed a lot when Kensington press re-negotiated with the purchasing group. Still, they never send enough books to the Wal-Mart stores to satisfy the demand and in this part of the country they sell out very fast. I'm not a died in the wool wal--mart shopper, but every time  I have to go with my wife, I always check the books for his writings. I have yet to find one but other people do. Like I said I don't go to Wal-Mart much, I would rather spend my money with private businesses. There is another book-store chain that lists them, but I can't remember their name and my wife says they never have them. As far as getting a autographed copy or set is doubtful. Besides being a writer, he is a liason between oil companies and drilling contractors and makes sure the drilling contractor abides by all of the rules of the contract and when the federal inspectors show up un-announced he has to deal with them. He works two weeks on and two weeks off on off-shore drilling ships and besides that he has a ranch that his wife and kids have to take care of when he's gone to work. I'll check with him when he comes in but he is one very busy man.

Thanks for your interest,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
M3 Mitch posted this 24 July 2019

Count me in on a group buy.  Rooster Cogburn was always a hero to me.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 24 July 2019

If enough people here are interested, Mashburn, maybe we could set up a group buy of a complete set of collectible, autographed cowboy titles, maybe a limited number of serial numbered sets, based upon how many.  I would imagine the SASS crowd could also go for this and we could rub Jeff Bezo's nose in it a bit.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
RicinYakima posted this 24 July 2019

I support Ed on this issue, too!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Ed Harris posted this 24 July 2019

Read the reviews of your son's book on Amazon.  Rather than buying from Amazon, is there a better deal for your son where I could get an autographed copy, and perhaps an entire autographed set of his cowboy titles. 

I know how hard it is to make a living writing and would like to help the lad out. 

Attached Files

pisco posted this 24 July 2019

hi i had a 32-20 savage years ago i am on my 2 nd 25 -20 the one i have is a keeper it is like new

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 23 July 2019

Hello Ed,

I dug this thread up a few minutes ago and had to respond. I have one in 32-20 and have owned all of the other calibers. If your stock has a snobble it is the early one and does not have the speed lock. They were not drilled on top of the receiver for scope bases. There are 2 tapped holes toward the back of the receiver on top, these were for a peep sight. The one that I have now is wearing the weaver scope that is shown in the Savage catalogue from the 1920's which listed this scope for sale to use on the model 23's.I bought this rifle from a elderly man who had bought it, the scope and mounts new. It is equipped with a side mount and the rifle was drilled at the factory for a side mount. It is equipped with a globe front target sight. I have a feeling that it came with a rear peep but can't be sure. I love these model 23 Savages. I own a couple of them in 22 caliber. I remember when you could buy one of these for 30 to 45 dollars. Wish I had had the money in those days to have bought them all. As for accuracy, Mine with jacketed XTP bullets will shoot a little under and inch at 100 yards and I measure my groups from the widest part of the group not from center to center.I'm shooting a little over 1900 fps. It amazes all of the young whipper snappers with their ugly guns and 10 pounds of bipods. The 32-20 is one of my favorite calibers. Not only in rifles but also in handguns of which I own and shoot several of them.

If you have read the biography entitled "THE REAL ROOSTER COGBURN' Which my oldest son wrote there is a picture of one of my 32-20's. It's a Winchester 92 rifle that has been handed down through the Cogburn family. It belonged to the father-in-law of my grand dad the real Rooster Cogburn. The book is authentic my son researched it for 15 years and every word is factual. It was all dug out of Ft. Smith Arkansas court records and Arkansas news paper articles from various newspapers.If you are interested in that kind of material you will enjoy. I'm just starting to work up some cast loads for my model 23.

You can tell from all my jabbering that I am a real savage and 32-20 fan.

Masshburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 March 2018

Jeff,

Would love to find one of the Husky 30/30 here in the states. Sadly I past on one about 25 years ago, when sending the kids through university. Seldom do I regret selling a rifle, but often regret not buying one.

Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
JeffinNZ posted this 24 March 2018

Nothing wrong with a good .32-20.  My first was a Model 92.  Had a bore like a dry river bed but still shot very well.  Sold it and had the Martini .32-20 built with a suppressor and SMLE barrel cut to 18 inches.  The Martini will shoot 80-230gr bullets just dandy.  Wanted a .25-20 when I was looking at buying the Husky bolt gun but they are not as common and I needed another calibre to cast for like a hole in the head so went .30-30.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 24 March 2018

Yes, I've shot it some this winter.  More accurate than my M1 Carbine!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
M3 Mitch posted this 23 March 2018

Well, enough time has gone by that you must have this rifle in hand, Ed.  Have you had a chance to shoot it?  I would expect it to be quite accurate if the bore is in good shape.  I don't have a 32-20 rifle (yet) but do have a decent old M92 in 25-20.  Came to me with aftermarket Redfield iron sights, and a Lyman peep on the tang. 

My old 32-20 Bisley needs a companion, either M92 if I can find a decent one without breaking the bank, or maybe even better an old Marlin.  Or one of these Savages, if I can find one. So many guns, so little time and money.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 29 July 2017

ha ! ... $350 sights on a $35 rifle !!

just funnin ... i started  out with a m43 win. in 218 bee ... another cf popgun on a rimfire action

getting closer to a groundhog shoot for only 25-20, 32-20 and 218 bee !!  ... the "" 32-20 "" family ...  pistols at 25 yd, rifles at 100 ...

hey i have a really nice barrel for a high wall in 218 bee !!  ... probably for sale btw.... pm me if.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 29 July 2017

Yes!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 July 2017

Like this 23B in 25/20?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 29 July 2017

Hmmm... Interesting!

Can't wait until it gets here.  I also have some Parker-Hale bases and rings which might fit.

Another possibility is that if I can get get Unertl bases to fit, I have a 6X Small Game scope which would be truly elegant on this rifle!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 July 2017

The original holes on low number 23's, rear is for the top mounted Savage or Lyman (#48 Y) peep sight. The front hole is a #6 and rear is a #10, same as Savage other early bolt guns. Your gun, Ed, appears to be late enough for Lyman dovetail mounts. Recoil is so low even with 32/20 that I mount Lyman scope blocks and then clamp 3/8" 22 scope rings onto the scope blocks. 22 dovetail mounts are commonly available now for 1" scopes, and used for 7/8" Alaskan's. 

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 28 July 2017

Thanks, that's helpful info.

I may try a peep sight first, don't know if one of the Skinners or XS for the Marlin might work on the rear bridge...

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 28 July 2017

Ed

My M23B also was D&T'd when I got it.  I initially used 17A Weaver bases front and rear.  The base holes do not align with both the D&T'd holes in mine.  Thus there is only one screw holding each base.  That has been sufficient due to the low recoil of the 25-20, especially with cast.  All was fine with initial testing at 50' and 50 yards.  However, the front base on mine sits forward where the taper begins (receiver and barrel being the same one piece).  At 100 yards I was out of elevation adjustment unless the velocity was 1500+ fps.  I then put a Weaver 46 base up front and that cured that problem.

If your front base sits farther back than mine it should be off the taper and a 46A should work. 

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mpsawyer
Show More Posts
Close