Sako L-461 extractor

• Last Post 27 June 2019
John Alexander posted this 21 June 2019

I have a Sako L-461 in 222 that I hadn't shot for three years. It looks a bit like a scaled down Mauser but is a push feed. It is very hard to get the extractor to snap over the rim while chambering a round. The angled face of the extractor is polished and smooth.  I never noticed it being hard to chamber rounds before but don't see how it could have gotten harder.

Anybody have one of these or know anything about this problem?

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 27 June 2019

I want to thank everybody who chipped in suggestions for fixing my extractor problem. I tried them all including almost convincing myself that I should modify the angle on the face of the extractor that forces the extractor over case rims before I came to my senses and decided that if the Finns could make a rifle as perfect as the L-461 then they probably knew more about the right angle than I did.

The last thing I tried was Bud's suggestion to take the bolt apart and boil it in case the heavy protective grease it was shipped with has deteriorated over the 55 years I have had it and gummed up the extractor. Bingo! It now works slick as could be.  Congratulations Bud. You hit it on the head.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Mike H posted this 21 June 2019

Without going and having a look at my bolt,I would think the spring and associated bits behind the extractor are jammed,try soaking in a penetrating oil for a while,then rock the extractor,it should move to allow the extractor to clip over the case rim.

Mike.

Attached Files

Mike H posted this 21 June 2019

I have had a look at my bolt and the extractor moves freely when pushed with my thumb,I would think your extraction system has seized up,there is a spring ,plunger and I think a small steel ball in there.

Mike.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 21 June 2019

Be very careful, these extractors are hard to find. Breaking this extractor's edge by pushing too hard could be disastrous. 

I concur with the need for cleaning, even ultrasound cleaning of the entire bolt assembly to start. If no ultrasound, then boil the bolt for a time to get the grease to flow.

My SAKO L461 came with a lot of factory grease like cosmoline or RPG in the entire bolt assembly. It was slightly used and never thoroughly cleaned. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 June 2019

I think you posted on the wrong thread, John.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 22 June 2019

I did. Thanks Ric.

Attached Files

pisco posted this 23 June 2019

hi there could be a build up of brass in there a soak in a bore cleaner should loosen things up

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 27 June 2019

about 2 years ago i went to 0-30 mobil 1 synthetic motor oil for all my gun uses ... except ballistol for quick wipe-off of steel and wood stock ... and Fluid Film for severe duty long term storage.  so far so good, no gumming.  i had a ruger 77 push ejector gum-stick on rem-oil before.  mobil 1 zero-x wt is slightly thick but doesn't get worse.

for guns that get cruddy ( my 22rf autos ) i clean with WD40, then re-oil .

frugal ken 

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 27 June 2019

Good idea Ken since the extractor has already proven that a bit of gum with very little clearance can cause trouble.  I have used it for years in the shop and brought a can from Maine.  Now, where in the heck is it.

John

Attached Files

Close