Ruger #1 30-30 throat

• Last Post 13 June 2020
harleyrock posted this 05 June 2020

I will be receiving a new Ruger #1 30-30 today.  It has the standard 30-30 "Non-throat".  Should I have it re-throated?

If so, what profile and who to do it?

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Wheel Weights posted this 05 June 2020

Make a chamber/2" of bore cast. That will tell you.

Attached Files

alphabrass posted this 05 June 2020

I purchased one last year.  My loads with the RCBS 150 CM were engraved by the rifling on loading and took a pretty good push with the thumb to seat.  A little too hard for my comfort, worried about leaving a bullet stuck if a loaded cartridge is extracted.  I'm just starting to work on getting the right set up.  It shot well enough though.  I'm going to try nose sizing dies and softer alloy that No. 2.

I'm looking forward to the process and hope that I can avoid re-throating.  Attached picture shows the modified offset rings, relieved to allow the scope to be mounted back for reasonable shooting position.  My rifle has the relatively new for Ruger 5R rifling.

Ruger No. 1 30-30 Win.

Attached Files

Glenn R. Latham posted this 06 June 2020

Ed Harris has some experience throating 30-30s, maybe he'll stop by.

Wayne Schwartz had a custom 30-30 reamer made up because the SAAMI reamers have a very long chamber.  Case length is 2.039 max, but chamber length is 2.083 +.015.  You can make cases from 38-55 and trim to fit your chamber length.  The ones I made did not require neck turning.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 06 June 2020

I worked with a man who owned a Remington 788 .30-30 who did this exact project. I had owned a .38-55 and still had brass plus Cerro-safe and a trimmer. We cast the chamber and made measurements. We then trimmed the brass .005 short of the leade. This was older brass that was thin enough to not need outside neck turning 

He also had the leade tapered with a 1 1/2 degree throat reamer. Shooting the RCBS 30-180-SP and Lyman 311299 showed significant improvement. He moved away before we could finish the experiment and found a new pursuit in 1,000 yard benchrest. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 06 June 2020

Bud,

What loads were you using with the Lyman311299 in that 30=30?

I have been working with a Brg BPCR /rebarrelled to 32-40 Rem Hep/Hart 8 twist barrel. About same

powder capacity as a 30-30.

My load for Schuetzen is a 311299, w/o gas check over 15.5 gr IMR 4227. and a "house wrap foam" wad

pushed down with the bullet. Note the house wrap foam-about 1/4 inch thick is essentially same polystyrene foam as the floral foam used by a lot of Schuetzen shooters to protect the plain base bullets.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 06 June 2020

This was almost twenty years ago, fortunately kept some notes on my parallel loading in a Hoch single shot.

The bullets were gas checked, I avoid wads for fear of ringing a barrel. The alloy was used linotype and the lubricant was M&N. That was the last of my M&N lube, I liked it. 

We worked with Reloder #7 up to 21 grains and SR 4759 up to 14 grains. 

I should have bought that rifle when he moved. But I have enough projects now.

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 07 June 2020

Bud,

Back in the '80s, I was shooting IHMSA Handgun Silhouette. with a T/C Contender

10inch 30-30. An early bull barrel that was 14 twist.

My most accurate load was a Lyman 311466 ,162 gr with gas check and lube,cast of 9+1ww/lino HT, over 20 gr 4759.

It was accurate enough for me to hit 7 of 10 beer cans at 200yds in a shootoff.

My Ram load was same bullet over 33.8gr IMR  4759. Also quite accurate as well as powerful.

Never left a ram standing that I hit.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 07 June 2020

I shot a T/C Contender .30 Herrett for Long Range Pistol for several years. 12 inch Bullberry bull barrel with 1 in 10" twist and Burris 10X pistol scope. It was competitive for the weight limit at that time, 5.5 pounds. I tried bullets up to 200 grains and many loads equaled the accuracy of my rifles.

The problem was the recoil effect added up and tired you out by the the 200 yard matches. I was shooting Reloder#7 at 1600 feet per second and the recoil was noticeable. I first campaigned the RCBS 30-180-SP, but switched to the SAECO #315 at 100 yards and the RCBS 30-165-SIL at 200 yards. With sighters and the first sighting target, I normally will shoot 80 to 90 rounds in a match, tiring after a time.   

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
beltfed posted this 07 June 2020

Bud,

That "ram load" of mine of the 162 gr 311466 /33,8 gr 4895 clocked 1900fps across my Oehler 33

from my 10" TC 3o-30. Yes, tiring if you have to shoot 80 round matches.

So, I went lighter with my chicken,pigs, turkey

loads:  Chickens 13 gr unique under a 130 gr H&G bulle, pigs and Turkeys were shot

with the 20 gr 4759 /162 gr bullet.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
harleyrock posted this 13 June 2020

I loaded some Lee C309-170 F bullets lubed with Ben's LL to fire form brass.  I chose that bullet by chance only because I had some.  They were cast 5 years ago, more or less, no records.  Alloy unknown, BHN now 20.  They slid into the chamber with a little hand pressure at the last few mm.  They would extract without de-bulleting, there were light rifling marks on the bullet.  The bullet fits, as cast!

If I can develop an accurate load with that bullet, and I think I can, then Voila!...I don't have to modify the throat.

Ben gave me a custom mold that casts 2 bullets( a 142gr PB, and a 173gr GC) that were designed for the 30-30 throat.  

So...you don't necessarily need to change the gun...you can use custom bullets instead of a custom throat.

Lifetime NRA since 1956, NRA Benefactor, USN Member, CBA Member

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 13 June 2020

Glad to hear about it Harley.  I hope this works out for you. It is frustrating to buy a rifle and then have trouble making it shoot well enough to suit.  Good Luck

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close