Reduced loads 243 cast bullets

• Last Post 08 July 2023
2frogs posted this 11 January 2023

Looking for data using blue dot in 243 with cast bullets. Maybe 89 gr bullet. And also as to what alloy is needed. I was told to use linotype,but I don't have any I have wheel weights and soft lead also lots of factory hard to mix in. Open to suggestions...john

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
foesgth posted this 11 January 2023

I shoot the RCBS 243-95 using Unique.  I have tried 2400 and it works well also.  I just currently have more Unique.  I shoot a fairly soft alloy of roofing lead (it pays to have friends in the roofing business) and pewter.  I powder coat, gas check, and size to .245.  I'm currently using 11 gr. of Unique.  Not a real speedy load but they seem to hit at about the same spot if I do my job.  

I think a lot of it depends on the twist rate of your barrel.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Maven posted this 13 January 2023

John, I look through my loading data for thee .243Win. and can recommend three propellants for the Lyman #245496 CB (with gas checks).  They are IMR 4227 (OK, but dirty), IMR 4198 (better, but higher SD's than I'd like), and 5744 (the best!).  You'll want to consult a good CB reloading manual, but 14 -15gr. of any of those will work quite with the Lyman CB.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Rich/WIS posted this 11 January 2023

Loading 12.5 grs behind the NOE 246-105, accurate and mild, about 1600 fps.  Not sure where I got the load data, didn't record it in my notes.  If you have data for Unique and 2400 start at the max load of Unique and stop at the starting load for 2400.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 11 January 2023

Mine is 9 1/2 twist I believe. Savage barrel. So your using a soft alloy. Interesting. I'm told it should be hard. Probably the powder coat duced loads

Attached Files

foesgth posted this 11 January 2023

I push powder coated bullets fairly fast in some of my loads.  I have found, as I am sure others have, that proper bullet size if more important. The only time I have had PC fail was in an old SKS.  That rifles barrel looked like one of the before photos from a rotorooter company.  

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 13 January 2023

Thanks. I have 4227. Also 2400 unique,red dot. But it's to cold for testing now..

Attached Files

Maven posted this 13 January 2023

Those powders will work as well, but I've only tested Unique:  No more than 9 -10 grs.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 08 July 2023

What alloy and powder? I have that same mold. I use linotype and 7.0 gr of 700x. I'm getting 1411 fps

Attached Files

Close