RCBS 7mm 168gr in TC Contender---experiences

• Last Post 30 March 2021
Richard Pickering posted this 28 March 2021

Hello all,  A friend has the 7mm 168 mould and wants to use it in his 14'' barrel.

I wondered who might share their experiences and cite usable data for IHMSA shooting.  

Thank you. Richard   EDIT---desired use is 7mm TCU. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Richard Pickering posted this 29 March 2021

Bud, thank you. We have the 7--145 bullet but you know how it is with a new mould. We will make a dummy round before others.  Do you think Acc 2015 would be suitable ?  Richard 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Richard Pickering posted this 29 March 2021

Bud, I edited to show 7mm TCU.  I havent shot this bullet very much as I got the desired result with the 145gr version in both the 7mm BR and in the 7--tcu. I think Id rather err a little slow on powder choice than too quick. ( We cant argue with Jesse's success). rp

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 29 March 2021

7X30 Watters T/C factory 14 inch barrel needed to be throated quite a ways to accept the RCBS 7mm-168-SP mold. I also have the RCBS 7mm-168-FN mold and that one would also only fit after the throating. The bullet stuck a full quarter inch below the case neck before throating. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 29 March 2021

Might be a little slow, you do not say which cartridge. AA 2015 is similar to Reloder #7 which is a favorite powder for me in this capacity of a case. My experience in the T/C was the 7-30 Watters, a medium capacity case and Reloder #7.

I've also used the RCBS bullets in 7mm BR (rebuilt 788) and 7mm-08 (700 VLS) with good results. This again was after relieving the leade a slight bit. The SAECO #73 with their tapered nose design that seated well. Jesse Miller used this design to set several CBA National Long Range Handgun records. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Shopdog posted this 30 March 2021

I use the RCBS 145SIL in a cpl 7-08's.

The as cast nose, "ain't" going in any 7mm bore here. Made a tapered swage die,I think it's 3* included,would have to check.

It is a VERY rewarding excersize though. The inherent advantage to a tapered nose sizer is it allows you to move your bullet's engagement with leade,longitudely. Within a certain range. But it's more than sufficient most often.

What this does,and why I "like" having slight oversized bore ride noses.... you can move where the base of the bullet is,in relation to the case neck/shoulder junction.

A chamber cast will "usually" allow a pretty durn accurate assessment of the leade taper. Don't want to go off on a tangent(haha) but,you need to be aware that there isn't one number here for the degree of taper. It has too many other factors to say this degree is better than that.Try to match what the chamber reamer print says,if you aren't comfortable checking a chamber cast,as a good starting point.

Attached Files

Close