pan lubing

• Last Post 15 January 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
Ross Smith posted this 14 January 2021

For those of you that pan lube, do you preheat your bullets before pouring the lube? And if so, how do you preheat?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 14 January 2021

I don't do very many at a time, and I use a coffee cup heater from Goodwill. Put a metal jar lid on the coffee cup holder and it holds about 20 .410" bullets. When it is hot, I pour in the lube and set it aside and put another lid down and repeat. I takes a lot longer to cool, but I don't do many at a time.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Spindrift posted this 14 January 2021

When I start a new pan, I pour lube in it- with no bullets present. I use my home-made cutter to cut the required number of holes after the lube has solidified. Then I stuff the holes with bullets, and put the hole thing in my toaster oven. After cutting out the lubed bullets, I leave the holes for my next batch. I have a tray for each caliber.

Absolutely no chance of making a mess, and once you have established a tray it is little work. The grooves get filled perfectly; the lube and the bullets follow the same temperature curve.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
  • Ross Smith
Boschloper posted this 15 January 2021

I use two 9" round cake pans. I put about 50 bullets around the outside in two rows. I then put the pan on the kitchen range (electric) and turn it on low. I add lube in solid form, letting it melt until I get the desired height on the bullets. I then carefully move the pans to the tile countertop to cool. When the lube is solid, I put the pan in the freezer for 2 - 3 minutes, then turn the pan over and remove the bullets and lube as a solid disk. I then put a piece of 1/4" dowel in the chuck of my drill press and push the bullets out of the lube thru the center hole in the table, catching them in a box underneath. I then size them in home made Lee type push thru sizers. If I have more bullets to lube of the same size or smaller, I put the disk of lube back in the pan and put the next batch of bullets in the existing holes and re-heat. I have been using this system for both rifle and pistol bullets for about 25 years. Now for the last year, I have been powder coating pistol bullets and pan lubing rifle bullets. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
Ross Smith posted this 15 January 2021

Couple of good replies, thanks. Think I'll try my hot plate. I've been using a double boiler but not a tapered pan, I'll try that too.

Attached Files

Close