Old 22

• Last Post 28 June 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
Ross Smith posted this 28 June 2022

Afriend gave me a box of 22 rimfire ammo. It's old.Made by remington/UMC titled .22 automatic rifle rim fire. The case is both fatter and longer than a .22LR but the bullet is smaller .220 by my tape measure.Is any body out there old enough to remember these? Better yet do any of you collectors and history buffs know what they are? Wish i could post pics,but I can't.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 28 June 2022

HTH,

The .22 Winchester Automatic (also known as the .22 Winchester Auto and occasionally .22 Win Auto) is a .22 in (5.6 mm) American rimfire rifle cartridge.

Introduced for the Winchester Model 1903 semiautomatic rifle,[1] the .22 Win Auto was never used in any other firearm.[1] It will not chamber correctly in other .22 rimfire weapons, nor will other .22 rimfire ammunition, including the very dimensionally-similar .22 Remington Automatic,[2] interchange with it.[1] This feature was to prevent use of black powder rounds, which were still popular when it first appeared, from being used in the M1903, resulting in powder residue rapidly clogging the action and rendering the weapon inoperable.[1]

The power of the .22 Win Auto is comparable to the .22 Long rimfire, and while it fires a heavier bullet,[1] it offers no performance edge on either the .22 Long or the very much more common .22 Long Rifle.[1]

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
ten-mile posted this 28 June 2022

The 22 Remington Auto was used in their Model 16 and never used in anything else.  It is different than the 22 Win Auto and they are not interchangeable.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Ross Smith posted this 28 June 2022

Thanks guys!

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 28 June 2022

I have known about it for a long and that it was for the 1903 rifle but often wondered why.  Thanks Ric.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 28 June 2022

I have a bit of both but no rifle for either.......

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 28 June 2022

My neighbor has one of those rifles! Very fun to shoot.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Close