NOE 311299 clone for Garand

• Last Post 27 April 2021
Smoke Ratchet posted this 16 April 2021

In FS 251 Ed Harris mentions the NOE clone of 311299 for good use in a Garand. Checking their (NOE) site, They list a 311-206GC and a 311-206PB. I have a fair bit of experience with the Garand, but, I have never used a cast bullet of any type in them. Wanting to run a cast bullet between 1300 to 1500 fps. out of a Garand, I am thinking that the Gas Check version would be the better way to go @ those velocities. My concern is: what happens when that gas check meets the gas port? Would it be better to choose the Plain Base bullet and make sure it is hard enough so that it will not lead the bore? In closing, it is 11:40 a.m. est as I post this. I will not be able to check back until this evening for any replies. So, Thank You for understanding.

Smoke Ratchet

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 16 April 2021

there is a thread here of a couple days earlier .. titled * Porting * ...  with some discussion of lead bullets fouling the ports.

i am following this issue as i am putting together a Ruger 44 carbine ( gas operated, short stroke piston  ) ... half the owners report port fouling with cast, and half say they have no problems.  so there must be a way.  some say it is too much lube, thus sticking the piston when the lube cools.

i am planning to use powder coating as a first attempt to get cycling without much gas port fouling.

best of luck, the Garand is a great old weapon.

ken

Attached Files

Smoke Ratchet posted this 17 April 2021

Ken Campbell Iowa,

Thank you for your reply. I will search for *porting* post and read.  The Ruger 44 carbine …  never had one but always thought they would make a "dandy" woods companion.  Good Luck with your project.  "Garand is a great old weapon"  I could not agree with you more !!

Ratchet

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 17 April 2021

Hi Ratchet,

Regarding your question vis-à-vis the GC vs PB version of the NOE mould. I bought the 4 cavity with 2GC/2PB to give me the option of casting & shooting either. I've found the GC version is more accurate than the PB, but there was no difference in the amount of leading (which was none) in either the lubed or powder coated batches. I didn't chrono the loads, but some of my best groups were shot with the GC version, Lyman #2, sized to 0.310 over 37.0gr H4831SC, and Win LRP. The group below is an example. Of course, I always seem to throw at least one shot to screw the group.

Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima

Hi Redleged,

Thanks for your input and the load info. Always good to hear of someone else's experience on a subject. That's a pretty nice group, in spite of your called flyer. At least that's what I always call them. Yeah, I knew that shot was gonna go over there. Depends on who I'm shootin'  with, as to whether or not I can get away with it. I think I'm gonna go with the GC version when I make my order. Got to get my pot set back up. Have not poured any thing in a good while. Thanks again.....

Ratchet

Attached Files

there is a thread here of a couple days earlier .. titled * Porting * ...  with some discussion of lead bullets fouling the ports.

i am following this issue as i am putting together a Ruger 44 carbine ( gas operated, short stroke piston  ) ... half the owners report port fouling with cast, and half say they have no problems.  so there must be a way.  some say it is too much lube, thus sticking the piston when the lube cools.

i am planning to use powder coating as a first attempt to get cycling without much gas port fouling.

best of luck, the Garand is a great old weapon.

ken

Thanks for the heads up on the "porting" post. Went there and read it. Sounds like I could run into a "lube fouling" situation in the gas works, but that might be a solvable problem. Think when I get ready to order, I'm gonna go with the GC mold.

Thanks again.....

Ratchet

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 25 April 2021

Unlike the M1 Carbine, the gas port in the M1 Garand is very easy to access and clean (hence the use of NC primers in 30 Carbine ammo from the get go). The M14/M1A might be a little different but I have never cleaned one so I can't comment. Even in a NM, hand built, M1 Garand with a gas cylinder on with red loctite, you should be able to get to the port with a piece of wire. Enough lead to fill the port would have already sent your accuracy bye bye.

Dave

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 26 April 2021

With loads heavy enough to cycle the action on the Garand leading which clogs the gas port is not a problem, as port pressure is sufficient to keep the gas port clear.  What IS necessary is to periodically remove the gas cylinder plug, leaving the gas cylinder lock in place, then field stripping the rifle so that the operating rod can be removed and carefully cleaned with 000 steel wool and Ed's Red or Kroil to remove any lead residue from the face of the operating rod piston, and the gas cylinder plug, and if necessary, using a .410 shotgun more brush with Ed's Red or Kroil to clean the interior walls of the gas cylinder.  Any lead residue which blows back onto the operating rod itself is removed easily with 000 steel wool and Ed's Red or Kroil before reassembling the rifle.

Lead adhesion to the gas cylinder is mitigated by applying two drops of ATF onto the operating rod, with the action locked open, releasing the operating rod to forcefully distribute the ATF onto the gas cylinder plug and operating rod piston, and storing the rifle racked muzzle down, so that any  residual ATF runs into the threads of the gas cylinder plug.

Using this simple precaution leading does not adhere to the metal parts and will be blown out the rear of the gas cylinder, where it was be wiped off the operating rod with a wet patch.  It should not be necessary to disassemble the gas cylinder plug for routine cleaning, but only to inspect the operating rod piston, keeping it clean and very lightly lubricated with ATF as described.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Smoke Ratchet posted this 27 April 2021

Mr. Harris,

Thank you for your reply. As with your thoughts on the subject in FS 251 it is information well received and appreciated. Thanks for the "tip" on 2 drops of ATF on the op-rod and where and how to make the op-rod apply it.  I had thought that when I was ready to order the NOE mold that I was going to get the 2 cavity GC.  But, now I am thinking that I should try the 2 cavity mold that drops one GC and one PB. It's been a couple of years since I have poured a bullet of any type, and I hope to get going again here before summer. Thanks Again, to all that replied!

Smoke Ratchet

Attached Files

Close