New To Casting

• Last Post 15 December 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
Rum River posted this 23 November 2020

Hello.

I have been accumulating equipment and lead for years but have yet to melt a drop of it. Life has finally slowed to the point it's time. Have a decent range of guns to feed so it should be interesting. Already getting The Fouling Shot and it has really fueled the desire.

I'll at least try not to look too foolish when posting questions.

Rum River

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Rum River posted this 23 November 2020

Thanks for the welcome.

I have been a reloader for awhile and have read the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

There's a couple of 30 gal. galvanized garbage cans full of wheelweights in my garage. I figure by the time those are turned into ingots I'll be a lot smarter than I am right now. Have picked up a half dozen ingot molds over the years and have a turkey fryer burner plus an old cast iron dutch oven to turn the trick.

A buddy who has done this before has told me he will be standing by with a fire extinguisher and band aids. Apparently he knows me pretty well. He's retired and says he likes to observe comedy.

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Dean D.
  • RicinYakima
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 24 November 2020

i get through life by simplifying everything....   bringing everything down to my level. ...

and so it is with cast bullet shooting ...  there are really only 5 or 6 things you should know... and many many things you can laugh at and ignore ...  by employing this subterfuge you will shortly be able to get your average deer gun down to 5 shots in about 2 inches at 100 yards ...  life will be so sweet ...

did you mention 1.5 inch groups ?? ...  that mountain starts getting steeper real quick and my simplifications get a little blurry ...  but heck i got a 8 shot 1 inch group back in 1986 ...   they ARE out there .... and if you find one, you are requested to post it here immediately ... with all details ...  

you might have found that elusive 7th thing we should all know ....

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
  • mashburn
David Reiss posted this 23 November 2020

Welcome aboard!

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
jeff houck posted this 23 November 2020

Welcome aboard. To bad you live 1/2 the US away from me (Idaho). I've spent time with the same equipment you have to smelt down a couple of tons of old wheel weights. The finished ingots just beg to be cast into various bullets. It's a great hobby!

Jeff

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
OU812 posted this 24 November 2020

Before smelting your WW, try to separate the current zinc wheel weights from the classic good ones.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
John Alexander posted this 24 November 2020

Welcome.  Don't forget to check out our blog.  Jeff posts interesting articles there to hold us over between Fouling Shots.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
Boschloper posted this 24 November 2020

You've come to the right place. Welcome. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
MarkinEllensburg posted this 24 November 2020

Welcome Rum River! Great Jake Spoon quote by the way, best one. I have found this place to be friendly to all so don't hesitate to ask any questions. More folks than you will benefit from the Q&A. Smelting wheel weights is how I started as well. Although they seem much harder to get these days. I made clip tool, screw a magnet to a dowel. When the clips float to the top of the melt it is easy to remove with a magnet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
OU812 posted this 24 November 2020

Zinc WW's melt at a higher temp. I think if you keep smelting pot temp at 650 and lower (not sure about temp) the zinc ones will just float on top and make them easy to seperate.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
Ross Smith posted this 15 December 2020

You need to be careful with wheel weights. Send them to me and I'll take care of them. Yah right, welcome,Ross

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
mashburn posted this 15 December 2020

Hello Rum River,

Welcome aboard from the mountains of SE Oklahoma.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Rum River
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 23 November 2020

Welcome and you are a lot better off than those that are just now thinking about starting and have not even started collecting lead.  If you feel a bit intimidated, and reluctant to post, check out the search box part way down the right hand margin.  Type in your question and see what comes up and maybe you can find an answer in one of the threads.  Also keep an eye on the upper right corner of the tool bar "My Tools" because sometimes you might see that someone has sent you a private message. 

Everyone had to start out somewhere and many are willing to help get you through the rough parts.  Have you done any reading in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook?  That is a pretty good basic source to get you familiar with many of the terms common to cast bullets.  Good luck.

Attached Files

Rum River posted this 15 December 2020

Ross -

Lol, Glad you're sooo willing to 'help' me out!

Attached Files

Rum River posted this 15 December 2020

Mashburn -

It's 8 degrees here this morning, how cold is it in Oklahoma?

Attached Files

Close