Model 99 Savage bolt lock up

• Last Post 2 weeks ago
[email protected] posted this 2 weeks ago

My son has a nice model 99 Savage with a rotary magazine chambered in 300 savage. He has trouble with the bolt not closing all the way. He googled the problem and found that it had something to do with a "set screw" at the front of the action under the forearm that needed adjusted. I looked at a parts diagram in the Numrich catalog. I see what they call a carrier spindle nut, a carrier spindle head, and carrier spindle. Could these parts be what they are talking about that need adjusted? 

He also read that one had to make what he described as a spanner wrench to adjust the "set screw". 

I'm thinking the "set screw" they are talking about is the carrier spindle nut. 

Would miss adjustment of these parts have an affect on the action not closing?

Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Maybe I should ask if anyone knows a good 99 Savage gunsmith? The rifle is too nice to learn on!  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
Wheel Weights posted this 2 weeks ago

Contact this man. he can probably steer you right. he makes the Lightfoot no drill mount.

Mike Watson

[email protected]

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 2 weeks ago

I am not sure what you are describing, I will relate my experience. I have two Savage 99's, .243 Winchester and .250 Savage. Both rifles will lock up differently depending on how quickly you close the lever. This  method affects the group size, especially with the .250 Savage. 

Testing loads, I soon found that closing the bolt slowly gave a different closure than closing it quickly. If slow as one is prone to do at the bench, the bolt locked up about .008 lower than when one acted more quickly and forcefully. This is visible when a person is looking for it. The quick closure brings the bolt flush with the back of the action. The slow closure showed the slight gap.

This measurement was with a dial caliper, measuring at the back of the action for maximum dimension. I pulled the scope and measured the difference several times. The lower lockup is safe, the bolt was well within the receiver. 

In the field when I am hunting, usually coyote or wild dogs, the quick closure is automatic. At the bench, I remind myself to close the action quickly to get the same result. 

I love these rifles. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 2 weeks ago

It's not at all likely to be the rotor spindle. Probably what's called the "lever bite" - that arm at the front of the lever which cams the bolt in and out of battery. There's a nub on the end of that arm which also cams onto a raised portion inside of the front of the receiver that supplies tension to the whole arrangement as the lever moves through its final arc in closing. That lever arm can get out of whack. The fix is actually to whack it with a leather mallet to increase or decrease tension. At any rate, you must remove the butt stock and watch how those parts interact with each other, and diagnose it. If you determine it is a faulty lever bite, remove the lever, mic the distance between it and the trigger guard, give it a couple light whacks with the mallet (but don't whack it from side to side), and re-measure and repeat as necessary. It's not rocket science.

Sounds complicated but it'll all make sense when you remove the stock and watch the subtle relationships between the moving parts.

Attached Files

Yes my son has a lightfoot mount on the rifle. He is going to contact him.

Also my son is now telling me the only time it doesn't close is when there are shells in the magazine. Like he says, if he full length resize, trim to length ,and watch bullet seating depth, and make sure the chamber is clean, what else can it be but oversize brass, or something going on in the magazine? He cant find factory shells anywhere right now to try.

Also he sent me a picture of the carrier spindle nut. It looks like from the picture the nut was stacked in place at one time and has moved. He sent the picture to me on my phone. I'm unable for some reason to download pictures from my phone to this PC so I can't send a picture. 

My son lives 250 miles away so I cant handily get the rifle in my hands. 

Thanks for all the good reply's

Attached Files

Close