Lyman Furnance Model 61 Repair

• Last Post 07 April 2022
afish4570 posted this 03 April 2022

Lyman doesn't support repairs or supply parts for very long on discontinued products.  

My unit has a mica part where the two pronged unit on the pot crumbled and the female end of the power cord is no longer supported when plugged into the pot.   Hope discription is ok.  Anyone ever do a direct hook up with power cord wired to pot.  any help appreciated.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 03 April 2022

Consider just buying a new cord call a "waffle" cord used on waffle makers. Last one I bought for $2.00 at a Goodwill. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
  • Bud Hyett
TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 03 April 2022

hard wire using crimp connectors.  (Soldered can melt)

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Sevenfan posted this 05 April 2022

I have the same pot and when the female plug literally fell apart in my hands, I bypassed the thermostat and wired direct to the heating element. Since I use a PID, I don't need the thermostat anyway.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
afish4570 posted this 03 April 2022

Consider just buying a new cord call a "waffle" cord used on waffle makers. Last one I bought for $2.00 at a Goodwill.                               

The cord is ok the part on the pot where the cord plugs into is the problem.  The mica that holds the two prongs that go into the plug is what crumbled.  The two pins have to be supoorted by an insulated  part to prevent shorting out when pluging into  the cord. afish4570

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 03 April 2022

Coffee makers have a woven tube of insulating fiber to protect against shorts. You might be able to cover a metal crimp connector with this. I’ve patched an old hot plate’s connections this way .

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 April 2022

Sorry afish4570, misunderstood the problem, it is the male connection that is bad. Don't have an answer for that one. 

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 04 April 2022

IIRC there are crimp on connectors designed for high temp that are recommended for this type of connection, although it may not be an issue that far from the pot/heating element.

Attached Files

ten-mile posted this 05 April 2022

I have repaired the bad mica with some 1/8" fireproof sheeting I got at Menard's 30 years ago.  It is the replacement material for asbestos board. I put this over the wall studs where I built my stone firepllace. You can get mica sheets on ebay that is used in microwave ovens,  I think I would use this today, but it will have to be layered to get enough thickness.  I think I would use this today.  A bit pricey though. On Amazon.

Macor, MAC2-010202, Machinable Ceramic Sheet, 1/16" Thick X 2" X 2"

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 07 April 2022

Hit up some used appliance stores and look at things like used clothes irons and waffle irons with removable cords. Pull the cord off and look at the mounting on the appliance for the plug. You may find something you can scavenge for parts. I suggest focusing on small appliances that get really hot. You may be able to fabricate something from bulk mica board https://www.mcmaster.com/ceramic-plates/ or even ceramic plate https://www.mcmaster.com/ceramic-plates/

BTW, Lyman 61s are what, 40 years old? Lyman discontinues parts almost while the pots are still in production. That's the reason I built a PID for my MAG 20, they refused to keep selling me electrical parts any longer citing "safety concerns". It seems that it's possible for an improperly installed component could cause a fire!

Attached Files

Close