Lyman 358477 info

• Last Post 05 February 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
SkinnerD posted this 29 January 2023

Hello, I have the opportunity to purchase a Lyman 358477 double cavity mould with .359 and 358477 being the only numbers stamped on it. Looks unused but no box etc.

Google research turns up little. Most references, including this site, have it as a nominal 150gn bullet. However, an expired eBay auction offered one, same number, as "the 200 gn variant" Really? Anyone know if there was such a variant?

Apparently the design started out as Lyman/Ideal one. So around a long time.

If I get it I plan to PC the bullets for 357mag revolver and Rossi Puma 92 rifle loads. If its a 200gn bullet I expect it will be 38sp cases only. I only had a brief look at it when picking up something else from a home based dealer who deals in firearms not so much in reloading stuff.

Any comments/info re the bullet design and utility?

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SkinnerD posted this 05 February 2023

I'd show a photo but seems that function is not available from my smart phone. No options for anything other than txt in fact.

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 05 February 2023

Yes @RicinYakima I think you are absolutely correct. I bought the mould. The gent offered it to me for $50NZD, about $30USD so hard to turn down. Does not look as if it's ever been used.

Thks all for the replies and info.

Cheers

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • RustyZipper
RicinYakima posted this 29 January 2023

SkinnerD, I would never believe anything written in an EBay ad, without two other published written conformations. FWIW

Attached Files

res45 posted this 29 January 2023

https://castbulletassoc.org/blog/article/2017/4/64/thirty-five-years-with-the-lyman-358477

I think there are a couple different version of the 358477, but all are in the 150ish gr. weight. I have one I picked up at an estate sale that has the last two bullets cast still in the mold.

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
  • RustyZipper
Eutectic posted this 29 January 2023

I had that mold and still have some if the bullets. Mine had a very wide front band and required sizing so the bullet was a slip fit thru the cylinder. Getting it into the lube sizer just far enough to lube it would not size the front band fully and it would not chamber in 38 Specials.

Properly sized it was a very good 38/357 bullet.

The Lyman handbook does not show a 200 grain version.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
dannyd93140 posted this 29 January 2023

That's a 150 grain swc works good; there are two different models round lube grove and square lube grove.  Your rifle would do better with the Lee 158 grain RF or any RF if you planing to use the tube magazine. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
.22-10-45 posted this 29 January 2023

That has proven to be the most accurate bullet in my 6" brl. S&W mod. 19 with .38 spec. loads.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
Aaron posted this 29 January 2023

Does this help?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101023659/

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Close