load info for 106NOE in 6mm Rem

• Last Post 09 January 2022
GWarden posted this 09 January 2022

Rather than reinventing the wheel, I am looking for some good accuracy loads in a 9" twist Rem 700V in 6mm Rem. with the NOE 106gr mold , bullet length .925". Anyone have experience with this mold?

bob

Iowa

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Little Debbie posted this 09 January 2022

Bob,

Matt here (from the art & science site)

I’ve got quite a bit of data for the RCBS. 100 grain that should translate to the NOE bullet as the RCBS bullet lubed and gas checked in my alloy is usually 111 grs.

But generally I load two types of loads. Low velocity with a max velocity of about 1500 fps. For these loads I use a fast shotgun or pistol powder. In general terms a max load of 10 grains of Red Dot, Green Dot, 231, HP 38 etc works well. A favorite is 8.0 of Red Dot in .243 Win for about 1400 fps and good accuracy in both the .243 I have now. For up to about 2000 fps I like SR 4759, I have serveral pounds left and I’m not sure where I’ll go when I’ve used it all up. So if you’ve got 4759, Reloader 7, 4227, a max load of 19.0 grains will work for about 2100 fps. There’s pretty good .243/6mm data in the latest Lyman cast bullet manual , the vintage RCBS manual (one of my favorites) and great classic Lyman 45th reloading handbook. Any .243 data is safe in 6mm. These days primers are what I have at the time-and use both rifle and pistol primers in low velocity loads. As always work loads up. I’ll use data for any cast bullet that weighs 90 gr or more for my RCBS 24-100-FN bullets. This should work for the NOE bullet as specific data is going to be tough to find.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 09 January 2022

My answer may be specific to one rifle, Ruger #1B. At the same time I was developing a load, I was trying to accurize the Ruger #1. The rifle would reliable group jacketed ten shot groups under 1.1 inches at 100, but never reliably group under 1 inch. It's jacketed load was 46.0 grains H4831 and the Sierra 100 grain softpoint boattail.

I shot the RCBS 243-095-SP and 243-100-FN in a Ruger #1 over three decades ago. The bullets were linotype alloy, sized both .244 and .245, lubed with LBT Blue.

The load was Reloder #7 in charge weights giving from 1700 to 2200 feet-per-second. At that time, I held an infallible belief in Reloder #7. Primers would have been W-W LR or Remington 9 1/2.  

The 243-095-SP gave good accuracy, but the occasional flyer. Out of ten shots, there would be three outside the core group. The bullets impacted nose on and left traces of blue lubricant at both 100 and 200 yards. 

The 243-100-FN gave poor accuracy, always flyers numbering four or more. Out of ten shots, there would be four outside the core group. The bullets showed tipping below 1700 feet-per-second and also left traces of blue lubricant at both 100 and 200 yards. Only when the velocity approached 2,000 feet-per second did the tipping stop.

Now that you've raised this question, I am tempted to go back and try this rifle again. I think the first step will be to lap the 100 grain mold for evenness. I shot a 6mm BR in Long Range Handgun with the RCBs 243-095-SP bullet. This worked well as I set a National Record for 200 yard 5-shot group at the 2006 CBA National Match in Springfield, OR with it. A record that did not stand long, Jesse Miller shot a group ,081 smaller on the next relay.   

While I'm rattling on about the 95 and 100 grain bullets, I think the NOE 106 grain bullet will stabilize in the 1 in 9" twist. I think my problem with the 100 grain was fit in the leade, it is an unusual shape. 

I also found an Eagan 85 grain bullet mold while moving into my new reloading shed. Now if I could find a few thousand inexpensive spare primers to use while experimenting. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 09 January 2022

Matt and Bud

Thanks for your info. 

bob

Attached Files

Close