Lee dippers

• Last Post 19 January 2022
2frogs posted this 21 December 2021

Am I the only one still using the lee powder dippers for loading versus a powder measure..

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 December 2021

one advantage of dippers is that you can see the powder level before you dump it into the case ....

an advantage shared by my Belding and Mull Visible Powder Measure ...

i bot mine in 1955 ... it is growing on me ... i may keep it ...

ken

Attached Files

max503 posted this 22 December 2021

I use them whenever possible for their simplicity.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
  • shjoe
RicinYakima posted this 21 December 2021

Only use dippers when I take my hand loaders out in the 5th-wheel. Some are Lee but most are home made. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
cfp4570 posted this 22 December 2021

You are not alone! I use the Lee autodisc for most handgun loads, but the dippers get used for almost all of my cast rifle loads, and a few jacketed rifle loads. I will insert my usual "die hard plinker" disclaimer here. Load development for me is done when I can consistently hit empty beer cans full of water at 50.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
foesgth posted this 22 December 2021

I use them all the time.  I am always picking up business cards so I have a clean one to level the scoops.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Boschloper posted this 22 December 2021

I have the older red set and yes I use them on occasion. They are great for onesie twosie experiments. I also use them for black powder that I don't want to put in my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
delmarskid posted this 22 December 2021

I use one for making duplex 45-70 loads.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Spindrift posted this 22 December 2021

I have a set of dippers that I use all the time, and appreciate a lot. Particularily when doing load development, loading many different loads.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Buttersdad posted this 25 December 2021

I use my Lee dippers when I run a ladder test or just testing a load in a specific gun, or needing a very accurate load.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Eutectic posted this 12 January 2022

I am on my second set. I gave the first set to a friend who wanted to start reloading.

Dippers are the safest, simplest, least expensive way to measure powder. They have surprising precision if used carefully.

I also have several homemade dippers for specific charges.

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 12 January 2022

Hmmm. That is exactly what Elmer Keith said in his first reloading article in 1929. Dean Grinnell and Dick Lee used the same system to work out loads in the early 1960's. It is never an error, as long as you know when to quit using the next larger dipper. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Little Debbie
Little Debbie posted this 12 January 2022

Quick, accurate, safe. Very useful product.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
BigMan54 posted this 12 January 2022

I used them for about 6 months when I was in the Service. Almost 50yrs ago, have a new set with 15 dippers. 

Some day......

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Eutectic posted this 16 January 2022

Do you use the "shake off level" method or the "strike off with a business card" method?

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
Idahocaster posted this 21 December 2021

I use dippers where I can. I have used them for 38 special, 30-30, and 30-06. They work better with some powders than others, but the right technique makes acceptable loads for me. I enjoy the simplicity of the dippers. I have a set of Lee dippers, but I also made my own for my 38 special wadcutter load.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 12 January 2022

Amen to that

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 16 January 2022

I just tap the dipper with my finger to get it close enough. Never did very good with the card.

Attached Files

Eddie Southgate posted this 17 January 2022

I got all three colors of the plastic dippers . I still use them for the loads I have always used them for and still do not use them for loads where they are not appropriate , I'll not quit them now after over 50 years of using them .

Grumpy Old Man With A Gun......Do Not Touch .

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 18 January 2022

What is the third color?

I have seen red (I bought a set around 1973) and yellow, which I think is current. 

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 18 January 2022

Originals were aluminum with black wood handles. 

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close