Lee 10 pound production pot

• Last Post 26 March 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
Buttersdad posted this 01 February 2022

I have a Lee 10 pound production pot that is about 10 to 15 years old. It has always done the job well. The last two times I used it it formed a film on top that turned a deep red as if it was burnt. The first time I fluxed well and it seemed to stop. But today I was casting with it set as I usually do. I always start it set at the 7 setting and it would run right at 700 degrees. Today when I saw the same film I tested the temp and it was running at 900 degrees. I gradually turned the rheostat down, eventually to 2 on the rheostat and it cooled to about 800. 

I'm thinking a run away heat source due to a bad rheostat, what do yall think?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
skeet1 posted this 01 February 2022

I think you are probably right and I know that Lee sells parts for their pots. 

Attached Files

cove posted this 01 February 2022

I use 2 Lee 10 lb pots and one of them is at least 15 years old. This oldest pot has recently been rebuilt with new heating coil and rheostat. When I took the pot apart, the old rheostat looked as good as the new one. I don't know about other brands, but I think it is common practice to not depend on the rheostat setting and use a thermometer.  I check pot temperature routinely and keep a note by the pot with correct rheostat setting.  

Attached Files

Buttersdad posted this 01 February 2022

Yeah cove, I have my thermostat with me. I checked several times today as I turned the rheostat down in increments and it stayed at 800* and higher. I figured it's got to be the rheostat, and I'm going to get a new one from Lee.

Thanks for the input skeet and cove, a new rheostat is going to be ordered and I hear it's not that hard to install it.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 01 February 2022

While you have the pot apart you can put fiberglass in the side walls. When I did it the pot seemed to heat faster and cycle less .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JBinMN
  • Buttersdad
Buttersdad posted this 02 February 2022

Thanks for the tip delmarskid.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 02 February 2022

Welcome

Attached Files

Buttersdad posted this 10 February 2022

Thanks for all of the replies, I am going to order a new rheostat for my pot and get it installed after I empty it.

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 10 February 2022

I worn my 10lb pot out I had replace the heat coil 3 times and the rheostat once and now it is working right and the frame is worn out for where you screw it together and put the coil in , in time I will get myself another one , for now I use a pot with lade to do my casting. I use a large lade I find it fills the mold better and faster also . I have it to the point I can cast just about as fast as use of the 10lb pot., The 10lb pot is over 20 years old .

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 10 February 2022

I like the Lee 20 pound pot to ladle cast. Ladle works best for minie balls and big heavy 45-70 bullets. Don’t like it with gang molds much.

Attached Files

Buttersdad posted this 11 March 2022

I received the new rheostat on Tuesday this week and installed it yesterday. Now I'm waiting for some warmer weather to go out back and cast to test it. I really like the simplicity of the construction of the Lee. As for the 20 pounder, I don't cast enough to go to the bigger pot.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 11 March 2022

I like the Lee 20 pound dipping pot. I used to run 2 of the 10 pound bottom pour pots.

Attached Files

Wm Cook posted this 25 March 2022

I‘m working with an old Lyman bottom pour. The rheostat went south with intermittent sparks and flashes. It looked burnt. The Lee 20lb replacement rheostat looked almost identical to the Lyman so I gave it a try. But no go. Maxed out it only brought the alloy up to 500 degrees. So I’m looking for someone or somehow to get it back on its feet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill C.

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 25 March 2022

Talk to Lee, I have always had excellent luck with repairs/replacements.  I have had two of these and have been well satisfied. I have had to fiddle with them a bit to keep the dripping in control.

John

Attached Files

Buttersdad posted this 26 March 2022

I‘m working with an old Lyman bottom pour. The rheostat went south with intermittent sparks and flashes. It looked burnt. The Lee 20lb replacement rheostat looked almost identical to the Lyman so I gave it a try. But no go. Maxed out it only brought the alloy up to 500 degrees. So I’m looking for someone or somehow to get it back on its feet. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Bill C.
Hey Wm, try contacting Lyman, they may have repair/replacement parts that will work. Like John Alexander's my Lee drips from time to time, but that's what the slot in the top of the spout drain rod is for. Put a screw driver or something like it in the slot, press the rod down and turn it back and forth. This cleans the spout enough to stop the dripping for me.

Attached Files

Close