Hello from Minnesota

• Last Post 17 September 2022
N.R.Davis posted this 11 September 2022

Got a Martini Schuetzen on the way. Something I have been wanting for awhile. Neighbor gave me Lead from Demolition of old Buildings. Now to find a mold and Brass and let the fun begin. David

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Tom Acheson posted this 11 September 2022

David,

In the 80’s and early 90’s I shot handgun silhouette matches @ Northwestern Gun Club. It is (was?) near the towns of Taft and Twig, north of Duluth. Good folks and a nice range. There were also matches @ the Virginia Gun Club, Baudette, Brainard and Thief River Falls

At one time there were (10) clubs in the state hosting silhouette matches. Today there are just two. But…more silhouette shooters are starting to use cast bullets. Shooter age and high labor required @ the matches caused the reduction in clubs. Clubs are still physically there.

My wife and I see the North Shore as our favorite area to visit.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Tom Acheson posted this 11 September 2022

Hi David,

What part of Minnesota?

There are CBA matches @ 3 Twin Cities clubs and a club near Rice Lake, WI.

Two clubs host Scheutzen matches. Oakdale Gun Club east of St. Paul and near Harris, MN, about 45-minutes north of the Twin Cities.

Enjoy your Martini!

Tom

CBA Region 5 Director

Attached Files

N.R.Davis posted this 11 September 2022

Hi Tom,

About 35 miles from Duluth. Best kept secret around here is the Northwoods Shooting Range. $35 a Year membership. It's outside of Barnum. Going to have to do a lot of practicing before I go to a match.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 11 September 2022

Greetings from Wisconsin, we hunt east of you and southeast of Superior. I would love to have a Schuetzen rifle.

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 14 September 2022

What is the caliber of your rifle?Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 14 September 2022

If you have a scope on the rifle, just get it zeroed, find a reasonable load, load up 60-70 rounds and go find a match. The matches are extremely informal. They are more social than competitive. There is no pink Cadillac in the parking lot for the “winner”.You meet great people and the conversations are mostly about guns and loads. One characteristic all matches have is that they are educational. You always return home having learned something new and looking forward to applying it at the next match.

CBA and Scheutzen matches have some similar and some different courses of fire. Most match shooters don’t really practice. What they do is experiment with different loads, looking for “the one” to try @ the next match.

I was a member @ the Hibbing club but gave it up after 6-years because I just wasn’t getting up there enough, 3-hour drive compared to my local club, 13-minute drive. I drive to matches @ Rice Lake, WI, about 2-hours and the drive from Duluth to the 3 clubs in the Twin Cities is about 2 1/4 hours.

Any questions, just let me know.

Tom

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 15 September 2022

Welcome. My schuetzen rifle is a muzzleloader 375 cal. With traditional german style peep sights. 200 yards with iron sights is challenging. 

Ross

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 15 September 2022

Welcome,

I'm in SE Minnesota.  Good luck and have fun with that rifle.  I have shot the Schuetzen rifles for over 40 years.  It will be a fun journey for you good luck and let me know if I can be of help.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 15 September 2022

Hello and welcome aboard.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Shopdog posted this 15 September 2022

Welcome,fantastic resource here.

Sounds like you have makings of a fun rig. Good luck with your shopping,if you don't find anything.... ask around on this site. Lots of helpful folks.

Attached Files

N.R.Davis posted this 17 September 2022

Thanks for all the encouragement. Having fun is difficult for me. But once I get this Rifle shooting I'll have to attend a Match. Barrel is Marked 8x46 norm. Got some Qual Cart 8.15 x 46r new brass today which goes 2/3 of the way into the Chamber. Chamber Cast and a section of the Barrel hopefully on Sunday. David

Attached Files

Close