HBWC's @ 100 yards

• Last Post 23 June 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
brooksharris posted this 16 June 2021

What a great issue no. 271 was.  Bill Duncan's article was right up my alley.  Since I don't compete now I have found fulfillment in taking one firearm at a time from the vault and finding "The Load" for it and proceeding to another.  The article brought back memories from my earlier years on the Nashville PD when we shot model 10 and later mod 64 38 spl. revolvers.  When the sun was behind us on the 50 yd. line I could catch a glint of the Zero reload's silver base and detect its partial parabola...not when I was shooting, but from another officers shots.  I can only imagine the steepness of a HBWC's parabola.  I'm surprised it cut a clean hole rather than tearing the target.  What is the 100 yard velocity?  (It also reminded me of my 1000 yd. competition days when sorting, chronographing, and ladder testing were required to compete at the highest level.)  I would be interested to see that graphically displayed.  I was wondering Bill if you weight sorted and measured the bullets and cases in an effort towards more uniformity.  And then if you had considered firing all rounds through the same cylinder?  Thank-you for your contribution, Brooks Harris

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
  • David Reiss
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 16 June 2021

Bill's earlier article described his PPC revolver and loading methods in detail.  I've sent him 100 of my Saeco #348 DEWCs to try also, as I've found they shoot well at 100 yards when seated out to 1.20" in  .38 S&W brass and shot with 3 grains of AutoComp in my 10-inch twist H&R "Lettuce Protector".

IIRC his revolver was built by Bob Day and those were among the finest of their type in that era.  Cylinder throats were line-bored uniform, forcing cones gradual and the revolvers carefully timed so that charge hole to bore alignment was perfect. 

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David Reiss
  • John F.
longhunter posted this 17 June 2021

Thanks 

Great reading.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

brooksharris posted this 23 June 2021

Please advise how to mark solved.

Attached Files

brooksharris posted this 23 June 2021

Think I just did by clicking Is Solution...right?

Attached Files

Close