HBWC for .32-20 Browning 53?

• Last Post 25 October 2021
John F. posted this 18 October 2021

Hi, folks,

A friend who has a new Browning 53 in .32-20 has asked me to help him develop an accurate, mild, quiet load

for plinking and maybe small game.  There are lots of cast bullets out there (and if you have any real

favorites for this application, please advise!)  However, today, I happened across some Hornady swaged

.314 90 gr. HBWC's, and thought they might serve for a fun, accurate load (that probably will require single-

loading.)  From some reading I've becen doing, apparently the Browning lever guns tended to have short throats,

which might affect results with the WC. 

Has anyone played with this or similar bullets in such an application, and what were your results?

If you found any particular powders to work extra well, that would be helpful, too.   I will help him

with a more "general purpose" bullet load, but thought it might be fun to play with the HBWC's. 

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

All the best,

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BigMan54 posted this 25 October 2021

I've fired many thousands in My little Colt Police Positive .32S&W Long and in light .32H&R loads.

A real shame Hornady stopped making them. Unfortunately  I don't have a load for .32-20 anymore. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
RicinYakima posted this 23 October 2021

For plinking, nothing is better for me than 3.2 grains of Bullseye. For field use, I like 9.5 grains of A2400; not the fastest load but always good accuracy from my model 53. Oh, and that is about 30,000 psi so use a thick cup primer, like Fed 200 or standard SR, not mag, primer. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
oscarflytyer posted this 23 October 2021

a flat nose that is 115 grains and one I cut the gas check shank out of that goes 119 grains. All with 1980-90 WW's with 2% tin added. 

For the two above (I can approximate them with my molds), in a Mdl 53 - what load data would you recommend?  Thanx!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 19 October 2021

... and don't bypass the Lyman 3118 .. / 311008 ... if you find that mold .. kinda a 311316 but plain base ... 115-120 gr.  i always thought it was better looking bullet than the 311316 ... does that count ?? ....

that said, i have shot a zillion of 311316 in several 30 cal guns, ( including a Win. 92 ) and it shot well at least at 50 yards ...  usually with gas checks ...

and of course, be a good idea to do a chamber/throat cast of that 32-20 chamber ...  

good luck .. ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
RicinYakima posted this 19 October 2021

Well, I have three: a HP that goes 110 grains, a flat nose that is 115 grains and one I cut the gas check shank out of that goes 119 grains. All with 1980-90 WW's with 2% tin added. 

Attached Files

oscarflytyer posted this 19 October 2021

Ric

What weight is your Lyman 311316 dropping?  I have a cpl 32 SWC molds in the 120 grn range.  Not yet started loading for my 53.  Wondering if one of those would approximate your 311316.

Attached Files

John F. posted this 19 October 2021

Thanks very much, folks!  I appreciate the help! 

Kinda hoping Ed Harris might join in ... he's the King of .32's, and has tried just about everything,

using a scientific approach!  Hope  he happens by before long! 

Thanks again,

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 19 October 2021

But not so light it sticks in the barrel. An issue is you need enough pressure for the case to seal the gases from leaking into the action. 32/20's are notorious bullet stickers. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Mike H posted this 18 October 2021

Harking back to my pistol shooting days,a long time ago,be careful and don’t belt them too hard,you don’t want to leave a skirt in the barrel.

Mike.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 18 October 2021

Not a lever gun but a Colt revolver; 2.2 gr Bullseye under the Hornady HBWC proved excellent.  Bullwt was seated to bottom of neck with a light taper crimp applied.  Probably won't feed in the lever gun and may be a single load from the top round.  

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
RicinYakima posted this 18 October 2021

I have a Browning 53 that I like very much. I have not tried WC's but have loaded Lyman 313445 SWC that functions through the action. But my favorite is the Lyman 311316 without a gas check. Three to three point two grains of Bullseye will be very accurate and you can shoot with out ear plugs.  FWIW 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Close