Groundhog Shoot 2018

• Last Post 27 April 2018
Scearcy posted this 07 March 2018

Good morning! I am looking out the window at 18 inches of fresh snow which can only mean one thing. I am home from Florida and it is time to get this show on the road. Ken and I have not worked out all of the logistics yet so I will give you a rough framework today and we will fill in details over the next week.

First I do have several names of prospective participants already. I will post them later today along with any information I still need to get enrollment forms out to each of you.

We will do a posting of rules  soon.  Right now we expect to change little if anything from last year.

The signup process will be:

Let me know you want to participate - I (Jim) will need your address and email.

2 weeks from now we will mail signup forms to everyone.

When we receive the completed forms and $5 per rifle, we will mail targets (2 practice and 1 record per gun) to each of you.

Shoot the targets and return them by May 15 (address yet to be determined)

We will post the results quickly. We will also mail a paper copy of the results to all participants.

Hopefully we will be able to publish the results in TFS again this year.

Jim and Ken

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scearcy posted this 27 April 2018

Groundhog Shooters

I am mailing the last of the targets today. (fa38), you were the last one out the door. No one else has inquired at this point so it is a good time to cut the signup off. We have 53 guns entered this year. I believe we have entrants from almost 20 states and British Columbia.

Note that you should return your tech sheets and record targets to Ken Campbell. His address is at the bottom of the tech sheet.

We will mail out the results and the equipment sheet when all of the results are tabulated. Mid June or so is a guess.

Last year the CBA leadership was gracious enough to publish our results in TFS even though we are not an officially sanctioned postal match. I can't speak for them this year but I will inquire.

Thank you for participating. Ken and I have fun with this match.

Jim

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 21 April 2018

Well our last Minnesota snowfall is leaving.  It looks like next week I can start getting loads put together and do some shooting.

I'm glad to see so much interest in your match. 150 targets is impressive.  I would guess it's the single biggest postal match we have!

Thanks for your hard work.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 20 April 2018

Hey TK

Its good to hear from you. I was just on line ordering more targets from Midway. It must have been a premonition that you were sending in your stuff. 

I have mailed out almost 150 targets. We has twice as many signups as last year!!! Who would have thought?

Jim

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 20 April 2018

Greetings,

My money went out in the mail today. I plan on shooting 4 guns, I listed them on the entry form going back.  Maybe in two weeks most of the snow will be gone, I will check out the range early next week now that I am back home.  I am really looking forward to unloading shells at the groundhogs again, along with a few ML RB's.

TK

Attached Files

Redleged posted this 20 April 2018

Jim,

Got my targets today and ammo all loaded up. Time to get to the range!

Ed

Growing old is mandatory, growing up, however, is totally optional!

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 20 April 2018

20 shooters---45 guns!   AND it is supposed to be over 50 degrees today. One more cup of coffee and I will be headed to the workshop to polish brass and size bullets.

Jim

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 17 April 2018

Mine went in the box yesterday. I'm hoping for a trifecta.

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 17 April 2018

We have 17 shooters and 37 rifles entered at this point. I am expecting entries from three more people yet. This is a really nice turnout. Now if the weather would just give us a break. My local gun club sent an email yesterday which said  they were going to let this last 18" melt instead of plowing. I am planning on getting on the range about Sunday or Monday if all goes well.

Jim

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 11 April 2018

Ken - I know what you mean....I made a scout scope base for mine and have mounted a 2x7 Vortex scope.  Now I can see, which reveals my lack of shooting skill.  Using the 170gr Lee Cruise Missle; it shows promise.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 11 April 2018

jc ... nothing is certain with cast bullets, but generally you don't need gc at under 1300 or so as long as the casting clogs up the throat .... .... and i too am hoping to get my m38 in 6.5 loaded up for the groundhogs ...no gc on my gc casting ...... mostly i am trying to graft a scope on it ... those irons are extremely fine for my eyes .... at least a red dot ...

ken

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 11 April 2018

Sounds like fun.   Will gas check bullets without the gas check suffice as plain base bullets?  I'm working on a M38 mauser 6.5mm. but only have a gc bullet mold.

Thanks

Attached Files

Dukem posted this 09 April 2018

Targets arrived but Winter lingers. I saw a couple of real ground hogs during a brief warm spell a couple weeks ago. Poor buggers made it through the whole Winter hibernating then came out only to be hit by cars while crossing the road.

Duke

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 April 2018

Last year we accepted signups until April 30 and that seemed to work fine. So if someone is out there dawdling, try to get in touch with me by April 16 or so . That way I should be able to get targets to you by about May 1.

Jim

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 07 April 2018

Yes: PM sent

Attached Files

loophole posted this 06 April 2018

Can I still get in? 

Loophole

Attached Files

4060may posted this 06 April 2018

targets received 4/5/18....now all we need is 65-70 degree weather without tornadoes

Attached Files

Bohica793 posted this 06 April 2018

Targets received yesterday.  Now I have to load rounds......

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 31 March 2018

Another status report: I have received 4 more entries: South Dakota 4440, Bohica793, Urny, and Acheson. 8 entries, 15 rifles

I am aware of at least 3 more entries in the mail. I will start mailing targets Monday.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
tlkeizer posted this 29 March 2018

Greetings,

I am out of Alaska right now and in Hawaii, so will send in my entry forms after I get home in a couple weeks.  I plan on shooting 4 guns (maybe 5, see how much $ I have in my wallet after I get home).

TK

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 29 March 2018

mine's coming too, mailed yesterday.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close