Going To Try Some Old WW 452AA Powder In My .32 Mag. Revolver

• 2.4K Views
  • Last Post 30 March 2021
mashburn posted this 29 March 2021

Having read Ed's article on loading pistol rounds with  452AA powder got me to looking. I just came from my powder room and dug out a gallon can of 452AA about half full. I have several old Winchester powders but my back and knees got to hurting too bad before I could dig all of them out. I'll get back to them in a day or so and see what all that I have.

What I want to reload, with this powder, is .32 Mag. Is there anyone who has used this powder for such? I'm using Starline brass and am using 90 gr. Jacketed hollow cavity Sierra's, cast 100 gr. powder coated Keith style bullets and am going to experiment with some 115 gr. gc'd, powder coated  Keith type bullets. I will not be using the 452 AA for this 115 gr. experiment. After reading Ed's loads and burn rates for such, I'm ready to give it a try. I have a good supply of powder but the way supplies of powder are getting, I would like to use up  this type of stuff if possible Any suggestions and possibilities  would be appreciated. The powder smells good and the can inside is bright and shiny.

I've always got a story to tell so here goes. My daughter-in-laws uncle was a secret service agent who guarded President Reagan. He was a gun nut all the way and this powder came from his estate after his death. I also bought about 117 reloading die sets from his estate along with rifles, rifles, rifles and more rifles.

I GOT TO DIGGING THROUGH SOME OF MY OLD LOAD MANUALS AFTER I POSTED THIS A WHILE AGO. GUESS WHAT I FOUND IN THE RCBS BULLET RELOADING MATERIAL; A LOAD FOR WW452AA POWDER AND A 98 GR. CAST BULLET FOR THE .32 MAGNUM

Mashburn.

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 29 March 2021

Aren't old manuals great!?  Love them and buy them when I can.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
Ed Harris posted this 29 March 2021

I'm currently using 2.8 grains of 452AA in the .32 S&W Long with Accurate 31-109H having pleasant results.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 30 March 2021

Hello Ed,

I'm glad I remembered your post about  452AA. RCBS lists a load for their 98 gr. cast bullet, it is 3.9grs. starting to 4.3 grs max. of 452AA with velocities listed as 1053 to 1148. I have 2 kinds of 100 gr powder coated cast bullets ready to load. At those charges, my half gallon of 452AA will load lot of cartridges. I'm anxious to see what accuracy I get with this powder. I think I have more 452AA stashed. I know I have about two different old WW shotgun powders.. You listed other WW shotgun powders but I can't remember what they were. I would appreciate more information on such powders.

Thanks,

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

mashburn posted this 30 March 2021

Hello Jeff,

The manual, in which, I found all of these loads was a One Book/One Caliber loading manual for .32 Mag. only. It is the 2000 Edition. I had never looked at it before because I didn't even know that I had it. I found it in a box full of loading equipment (mostly junk)t that I had bought years ago .It is a gathering of load information taken from several bullet and powder manufactures. There is a lot of load information that I had never seen before. I find it very helpful  since powder is getting hard to purchase at the present. I have a good supply of powder but I also have a lot of old powder and i was very happy to see that the manual listed loads for a lot of this old stock powder that I have and didn't know what I would ever use it for. I can do a lot of shooting and still keep my more current powder in stock. I may buy a few of these on caliber manuals, they are very helpful.

Like you, I love old firearm related literature. I had one of the very early Lyman manuals and was amazed that every caliber's loading section had instructions for forming cases, for that caliber. Some of the loads listed back in those days, were very wild. I don't think I would care to put my eye down behind the receiver with some of those loads. That book was loaned to a supposed friend, who moved away and took my manual with him.

Mashburn

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • JeffinNZ
Ed Harris posted this 30 March 2021

WST is the powder which replaced 452AA.  It is similar to, but not identical.

It can be used in the same applications and charge weights, although its volume is a bit different.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
Close