FR-8 Spanish Mouser

• Last Post 19 August 2022
  • Topic Is Solved
Fitzpatrick posted this 04 August 2022

I have some what of a mystery 

some years back I bought a FR-8 mouser chamber in 308 or that's what I was told on the rifle it says 7.62 cal. and that's it. Well it was never a very good shooter 2 inch groups at 50 yds. with jacketed bullets, now up to date I wanted to see if it would shoot cast so I made a pound test with a case filled with lead and a soft bullet that I new would get into the riflings and this is where it get strange the case seems to have the neck of the 30-06 in length but with a shoulder in the right place for the 308 like it had been chambered with a 30-06 reamer but short chamberd which gives me a case length of 2.120 . so I cut down some 30-06 brass run through the 308 sizer die and trimmed to 2.115 and loaded with my favorite 308 load and low and behold 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yrd. right off the bat

has anyone else with one of these rifles had this happen ? 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Top case is a standard 308 win case, middle case is a Fr-8 Mauser case, bottom case is a standard 30-06 case.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 04 August 2022

good story.  never give up !

i wonder what the bore and groove diameters are ? 

if you load metal jacketed bullets, you might consider your case necks are slightly thicker .. check chamber neck .clearance .

i like the classic mauser actions, whispers of past adventures ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
  • Ross Smith
hporter posted this 05 August 2022

Your post made me curious about my FR8.  So I loaded an empty brass case with a length of 2.015 in the chamber and ran my bore scope down the barrel.

I haven't done a pound cast or took measurements, but from the looks of things you may not be alone.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
  • TRKakaCatWhisperer
Lee Guthrie posted this 04 August 2022

OK, now you've got me thinking.  AGES ago I bought an FR-8 (along with a couple other friends).  It was to be a cast bullet gun for walkabouts.  It didn't shoot worth a hoot, but it was cheap and handy looking.  It's been hiding in a safe for decades.  I wonder.  New project: get out the cerrosafe and lets see what the chamber and throat look like ...........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Fitzpatrick
mashburn posted this 04 August 2022

Very good point Ken, case necks that are too thick to expand enough to let the bullet escape easily can possibly cause unwanted activities.

Mashburn 

David a. Cogburn

Attached Files

Sorry for the crude diagram, but this is the dimensions of the chamber casting I came up with. I think it gives me everything I need to make a good cast bullet for fit. 

Attached Files

Lee, that is the same reason I got mine it was in new condition still had cosmoline and wrapped in wax paper in a plastic bag looked great but until now wouldn't shoot , hope you end up with the same results as I , Nothing like new hope in a Old friend.

let us know how your chamber casting comes out if you don't mind.

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 17 August 2022

Fitzpatrick

Top case is a standard 308 win case, middle case is a Fr-8 Mauser case,
          bottom case is a standard 30-06 case.

Are the shoulder specifications in the same place as a .308 Win / 7.62 Nato?

and what your measured case length?

Attached Files

Fitzpatrick posted this 17 August 2022

Fitzpatrick

Top case is a standard 308 win case, middle case is a Fr-8 Mauser case,
          bottom case is a standard 30-06 case.

Are the shoulder specifications in the same place as a .308 Win / 7.62 Nato?

and what your measured case length?

Yes the shoulder specs. are the same and the case length for the FR-8 is 2.121  , and I trim it to 2.115 to get it .006 off the wall of the chamber .

Attached Files

Eddie Southgate posted this 18 August 2022

A perfectly chambered Mouser , not Spanish though.

Grumpy Old Man With A Gun......Do Not Touch .

Attached Files

Millelacs posted this 19 August 2022

.          Yes the shoulder specs. are the same and the case length for the FR-8 is 2.121  ,
.          and I trim it to 2.115 to get it .006 off the wall of the chamber .

That's very interesting.  The little I've been able to read (but no drawings) is that the casings and chambers are the same as .308 Win / 7.62 NATO.  Obviously in error.

I have a FR7, re-barreled 7x57 Model 1916.  I will have to shorten some 30-06 casings.

Many Thanks.

Attached Files

Close