Favorite 38/357 bullets

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 05 August 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
2frogs posted this 27 December 2022

So what's you favorite cast bullet for your 38/357 for revolver or lever gun. I guess mine is the 158 gas checks 358156. All from a single cavity mold...

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
shootingblanks00 posted this 05 August 2023

Lee TL358-158-2R. Powder coated. My Rossi R92 spits them out pretty dang good!

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 02 May 2023

For both 38 SPL and 357 Magnum my all around favorite cast bullet for serious use is the Lyman 358156.  

I did also use a lot of Lyman 358477s for practice, plinking and small game.  Then I found the Lee TL358-158-SWC to replace it wil because the Lee is just as accurate and with the 6 cavity mould production is greater.  Also, just using LLA and then a push through sizing speeds things up also.  

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 02 May 2023

When I  started back in the early 70's began with the Lee 158 SWC and then the RCBS 38-150KT for casual shooting and a 4 cavity Lyman WC for target shooting.  About 10 years ago the guns and molds I used for them were gone and only 38 I cast was for my buddy to use in a revolver and rifle.  Bullet was the 6 cavity Lee 158 gr RNFP as it worked in his revolver and fed through his rifle.  Couple of years ago got an itch for another 38 and picked up an S&W M15 . While the 158 shot well also got the 6 cavity 125 gr RNFP to keep recoil down (arthritis is a B@#$%).  Both bullets cast well and shoot well and will definitely produce a lot of bullets in a casting session.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 02 May 2023

i have been satisfied using cast semi wad cutter 158gr lead bullets in my sw model 10. good field accuracy with fixed sights. lately, i have begun to try a 38/200 cast load in my HR single shot rifle. preliminary tests seem good.

Attached Files

foesgth posted this 30 April 2023

I use 38 special cases.  And I use a Lee FCD.  I load with a Dillon 550 and seat an crimp in separate steps.  These let me get back on target quickly (I need all the help I can get).  I have 2 Lee 6 hole molds and cast a bunch of these.  

Attached Files

dannyd93140 posted this 29 April 2023

Well dannyd, I'm with you on that Lee 105.  I shoot revolver steel challenge.  I need to hit a steel plate faster than the guy who takes last place.  The Lee 105 shoots well, makes the plate ding, and I get lots of bullets per pound of lead.  3.2 grains of Bullseye (until I run out and can't get more).  

Do you use the 105 in a 38 special or 357 magnum case also what kind of crimp?

Attached Files

foesgth posted this 29 April 2023

Well dannyd, I'm with you on that Lee 105.  I shoot revolver steel challenge.  I need to hit a steel plate faster than the guy who takes last place.  The Lee 105 shoots well, makes the plate ding, and I get lots of bullets per pound of lead.  3.2 grains of Bullseye (until I run out and can't get more).  

Attached Files

dannyd93140 posted this 28 April 2023

All of these  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
  • RicinYakima
David Reiss posted this 26 April 2023

For me it is purely sentimental because it was my first mold and I still have and use it. It has cast tens of thousands bullets for me that have been accurate and dependable. One handle cracked years ago (sometime in the early 80s) and I taped it up with some white bandage tape, which is still on it, but looks more brown than white now. Its the Lee 358 SWC-GC I purchased in 1977.  

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

bullshop posted this 25 April 2023

RCBS 35-200 FN-GC   This bullet has proven to be the most accurate bullet for ranges over 50 yards  from my Ruger 357 mag Bisley model with 7.5" barrel as well as my Marlin 1894 in 357 magnum and Marlin model 336 in 35 Remington.

A few years ago Lee Precision came out with a very close copy of the RCBS bullet but the Lee version has a slightly larger meplate so maybe even better for hunting.  The big bonus with the Lee version is that it comes in the six cavity commercial mold blocks where as the RCBS is only a two cavity.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
jtcarm posted this 25 April 2023

Based on volume consumed, I’d have to say the MP copy of the Saeco 348. 8 cavities of DEWC sweetness.

Also the H&G 244 full-meplat wadcutter.

Attached Files

Qc Pistolero posted this 31 December 2022

my model 28 is fed with Lyman 358156 with gc.With a hefty charge of H110 it clocks a little over 1300fps in a 6'' bbl so I guess my 4'' in the 28 goes around 1275.

My Henry lever prefers LBT 180gr wn from ww water cooled.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
lotech posted this 30 December 2022

Eutectic-

Thank you for the response. I never worry or obsess about any of this stuff and that's probably why I'll never come close to cast bullet perfection or expert shooting ability. 

I think E.H. Harrison in the NRA cast bullet book determined the bevel base #50 was slightly more accurate than the flat base version, but I'd have to look up the article to be sure. Regardless, I'll just be content with what I have. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
max503 posted this 30 December 2022

Lee 148 grain TL wad cutter from a 6 cavity mold.  I've never had a gun that didn't shot that boolit well.  Either tumble lubed of powder coated.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Little Debbie
Eutectic posted this 30 December 2022

I have in times of desperate need (working 3 jobs, no time to cast) I purchased 38 148 wadcutters from different sources. Each company had a different design. Since lube requirements are very low on target loads, they all worked pretty well. I also had the Lyman version which shot ok, but the two cavities did not make bullets fast enough and they were large (0.360) and the reject rate was high.

The main competition is the flat nose designs H&G 251 3 grease grooves, and H&G 334 one large grease groove and copies by other mold makers. I tried the H&G 251 and could not see any difference with the H&G 50 in several hundred rounds on the Ransom Rest, so I quit worrying about it. I use the H&G 50 in match shooting. 

The requirements for top accuracy are:
A good mold, casting the correct diameter for your revolver, requiring little or no sizing.
Soft alloy BHN 8-10.
Good quality control

The rest is common sense
Single headstamp cases with no cannelure
Expander bullet diameter or 0.001 less
Belled so the bullet is not cut or distorted in seating
Crimp in a separate step, just enough to remove the bell.
Load to give 750 - 800 fs

Lubricant is of little importance; any fast powder is OK.

The amount of bench or Ransom Rest shooting to tell the difference in the various designs is probably more than any sane person wants to do. An insane person could spend 5000 rounds and 6 months of weekends and maybe get statistically valid data for TWO different bullets in ONE revolver.  It would need to be a top-quality match grade gun, or the small difference might be hidden in the large variation.  The data would be good for only that revolver. 

Be happy with your H&G mold it is a keeper!

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
lotech posted this 30 December 2022

Eutectic-

I've had the H&G #50 flat base 4-cavity mould for many years, but have had almost no experience with other 148 WC designs. I would assume they all shoot equally well as they appear to be about the same, but I don't know this for sure. I've always been curious if another design has a better accuracy reputation the the #50. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Eutectic posted this 29 December 2022

It has to be the H&G 50 148 grain wadcutter. I have the bevel base version in a 4 cavity mold. With 3 grains of Bullseye this bullet will show the accuracy potential of a 38/357 revolver. It is also a superior small game bullet for 50 yards or less. I have cast thousands of them and will continue casting them as nothing is better. Most mold makers supply a copy of this bullet and they all work if the cast diameter is not over 0.358 so they are not sized excessively.

When I need speed loading, use in a carbine or long range, I have used the SAECO # 358 158 RNFP. I recently replaced the #358 with Accurate 36-358C to get a mold which casts closer to correct diameter.

I seldom push the velocity up where a gas check is needed. If I need a gas check I put a disk check on Accurate 36-358C.

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
beltfed posted this 28 December 2022

I have had good accuracy with the 358429 Keith in 38 and 357 Mag. 

and the 3583345, a 115 gr SWC works well for light target loads in 

the 38 spl, It also actually feeds well , and shoots well in my Kahr CM9  9mm with full loads

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • ten-mile
Aaron posted this 28 December 2022

It all probably depends on the PURPOSE for the bullet in the specific firearm. Bullets that work well in my revolvers do not feed so well in my lever action rifles. Bullets used for bullseye target shooting like we did in PPC shoots are not very good hunting bullets.

My hunting bullets are either KTSWC solids or hollow points; Lyman, RCBS, or Accurate. Most are chosen for the revolver but a few will cycle with absolute reliability in the lever actions.

My cowboy loads for either rifle or revolver are RN or RNFP bullets for ease of feeding.

Bullets for self defense would be solids of the KTSWC flavor.

So I think the way to come at this is to:

1. Pick your platform

2. Pick your purpose

3. Pick the bullet

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

Boschloper posted this 28 December 2022

358156 Powder coat, no GC.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close