Ed Harris 45 Cal Cast bullets: 45 Colt

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 20 February 2017
Larry Gibson posted this 18 February 2017

Ed Harris 45 Cal Cast bullets: 45 Colt

A three of Ed’s bullets (45-240H1, 45-262H & 45-290H) were all tested in “standard” level 45 Colt loads intended for the Colt and clones SAAs consisting of 6 gr Alliant Bullseye.  Cases were Starline with Winchester WLP primers being used.  The SAAMI MAP for the 45 Colt, in deference to the older and “weaker” design of the older revolvers,  is 14,000 psi (transducer/strain). 

Test results:

45 Colt w/45-240H1;   Very good load giving excellent internally uniform ballistics with a MAP of 12,900 psi (M43) and a velocity of 930 fps out of the 10” Contender barrel this load should prove to be an excellent one in revolvers giving velocities in the 800 fps range.  Accuracy was excellent and I was still plagued by glare on the front sight with this load as the 2 low shots were called low.  On the next three tests the sun had shifted enough I was able to shade the front sight.  Accuracy noticeably improved with more uniform groups. 

The 45 Colt Starline cases used in this test were once fired and had not been trimmed.  How important is trimming is an often asked question.  How much does seating depth affect the psi is another.  This next test is the exact same load as the above with the exception the cases were trimmed .006 back to the Lyman “trim to Length” of 1.275”.  Conducting one test of each is by no means conclusive as a test of at least 5 strings each would be needed for any conclusive answer to those two questions.  Comparing the two tests here we see the trimmed case test gave pretty much the same accuracy, a lower velocity, a slightly better ES and SD of velocity, a slightly higher MAP with a greater psi ES and SD as the same load with the untrimmed cases.  Hardly enough difference if any to draw any conclusion.

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 20 February 2017

Thanks Larry!  

The better grouping you got with my heavier “Ruger” loads in your subsequent post follows my experience in the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible, Vaquero and H&R Classic Carbine.  I was pleased that those loads did not produce appreciably higher pressure than the classic 8.5 grains of Unique with #454190, and that they would be useable in the Gen2 Colts and clones.  This is re-assuring because they would see field duty in the Colt New Service and my converted “Sewer Pipe M1917” which John Taylor rebarreled and re-cylindered to .45 Colt.  I don't feel comfortable pushing those revolvers over .45 ACP levels. The heavier Bullseye loads you tested will certainly do the work and provide as much power as anybody needs east of the Mississippi.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 18 February 2017

45 Colt w/45-262H:  Excellent load for sure this one is.  The internal measurements were very good giving a Velocity ES of 18 fps with an SD of only 7 fps for 10 shots is very good.  The psi measurements were just as good with the time/pressure traces being very smooth.  Accuracy was also very good.  At 914 fps I would expect this should give 800 +/- fps in revolvers.  The MAP was 13,600 psi again making it quite safe for use in “older” guns.

45 Colt 45-290H:  

The 1st thing that strikes me about this longer, heavier bullet is that at the so far tested lower velocities stability may be an issue in the 16” twist test barrels.  I called the lower shot but that flyer at 9 o’clock came out of nowhere.  Given the excellent internals this load had the accuracy should have been better if stability was not an issue.

The MAP at 14,600 psi(M43) on this one is slightly over the SAAMI MAP for the 45 Colt.  I wouldn’t worry about it with any revolver made for smokeless powder loads though.  The “classic” 45 Colt load of the 454190 RNFP over 8.5 gr Unique used for many years in such “older” revolvers gave a MAP of 18,000 psi(M43).  I would suspect this load to give 750 +/- fps in revolvers. 

Very good 45 Colt loads.  I tend to favor the medium weight 45 caliber bullet of 230 - 260 gr for this cartridge as many fixed sighted revolvers are regulated for that weight range.  The powder charge can be adjusted most often to bring the point of impact up or down giving a better zero.  Very useful loads Ed is using.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

Close