Difficulty keeping same OAL in 45 ACP

• Last Post 14 December 2020
  • Topic Is Solved
brooksharris posted this 13 December 2020

Although I'm relatively new in the CB arena I have shot at a high level for decades.  I confess to being O/C with nearly every step my reloading.  Recently I received 500 x 2 of a different maker's H&G 68 200 gr. .452's.  I have had wonderful results shooting Montana's Penn's, and Dardas.  I will not name the maker of this latest batch.

I load this bullet to maintain a 1.260" OAL to minimize jump and still work in all mags.  With this latest maker's bullets I weight sorted as I always have but as I seated them I noticed a significant variance in the amount of shoulder visible above the case neck...more than normal to nearly none.  Upon measuring the length of the bullets I found .016" variance...but only a fraction of that  with the above listed makers.

I don't cast and am willing to pay more for a superior product.  Please advise how this can be when the listed makers produce such uniform bullets.

Blessings and stay well,

Brooks Harris

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 13 December 2020

If I understand what you are saying, it can easily be explained because most cast bullet manufacturers use Balisticast machines with multiple molds. Because the bullets come from several different molds, although supposed to be the same, have variances not checked carefully by the caster.   

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 13 December 2020

What David said! Their moulds are still machined with cherries so  setup can vary.

Attached Files

brooksharris posted this 13 December 2020

Thank-you both.  Is there generally a correlation between price and uniformity?

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 13 December 2020

Thank-you both.  Is there generally a correlation between price and uniformity?

Not necessarily; that's why manufacturing employs incoming material quality inspection.

But having said that, I usually seat the H&G 68's so the shoulder is AT the rim, using a seater that pushes on the  edge and not the nose.  Might affect accuracy, but I don't compete with pistols.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Shopdog
Eutectic posted this 14 December 2020

It could be differences in the molds used as the big commercial machines use multiple molds. I generally load 45 ACP with about 1/16 inch of the front band beyond the case mouth.

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
BigMan54 posted this 14 December 2020

I have 3 of the RCBS #45-201-SWC/KT.

The one oldest marked KT has a decidedly different length. The 2 "newer" ones marked SWC are longer in the base, however the shoulder to nose tip is the same. The loaded OAL and weight  remains the same. 

Does that make sense ?

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Shopdog posted this 14 December 2020

Just my experience here with some pretty durn accurate 1911's and quite a few "classic" 45 moulds.

When sizing,and subsequently,seating;

Using a top punch on a SWC that registers on the bullets shoulder,can have significant effects. I use a torque wrench,on a modified Lyman 450 handle to swage,and clean up this shoulder when sizing.

Then,a seater stem that also registers on this,now cleaned up part of the bullet. Which was mentioned in an above post. All good so far.

Now is where there's going to be some experimentation. And this isn't any small bit. Finding your "jam length" by performing a plunk test,you can play with the OAL to tune the load. Way more involved but that's the gist. There's feeding,spring rates,and load development all vying for attention here.... not to mention bullet profile.

It "can" make a dramatic effect. Too often I hear handgunners dismiss this level of load tuning with, they can't shoot the difference. Which I sorta understand but,it can make such a huge advantage that your just going to have a hard time ignoring.

Good luck with your project.

Attached Files

brooksharris posted this 14 December 2020

Thank-you and I grasp it all.  Previously I had shot some wonderful 50 yard groups with a LB, Kimber Custom Shop, and 2 DW's.  It is only with this last purchase that I've noted the OAL issue...which is, indeed, and issue loading them to "plunk test" length that still fit in the mags.  I'll stay with the manufacturers I named and henceforth utilize your wonderful onomatopoeia phrase, "plunk test!

Blessings to all and stay well

Attached Files

Close