Comments on the care and feeding of a .30 Reece

• 1K Views
  • Last Post 19 May 2021
Richard Pickering posted this 04 May 2018

Does anyone have experience with the .30 Reece in a 10'' MGM barrel for the TC Contender ? I'd like to use either the RCBS 165 Silhouette or SAECO 311 and may include the SAECO 301. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 19 May 2021

I understand the scenario. Many weekends were spent at the Windhill Range finding what cast bullet load would shoot best in a variety of rifles and pistols. We also referred to the range as the Marston Ballistics Laboratory. While Townsend Whelen said, "Only accurate rifles are interesting.", the quest for the best accuracy in a rifle/cartridge combination fascinates many shooters. Making a Springfield 1903 or 03A3 shoot well is pure joy. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
highnoonhunter posted this 18 May 2021

Thanks. I don't shoot competition so the 256 or the 30 Reece would be for plinking or small game. Which brings me to the conclusion I'd probably be better off going with the .300 AAC just for the simple fact of availability/cost of components, dies and such, and I have several thousand .223/5.56 cases to make them with. In reality neither of them would be of great use to me just something I'd like to tinker with.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 18 May 2021

The .256 Winchester Magnum is slightly more that the .25-20 WCF. There are few .25 caliber molds available. I'm shooting the .25-20 WCF for the Quarter-bore matches and it is tricky to get good bullets. The 120 grain bullets and 1 in 10" twist are needed for wind resistance.

I would stick to .30 caliber unless you have ground squirrels or ground hogs to shoot. But, the.25-20 is fun to shoot and a real challenge.  

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • highnoonhunter
Richard Pickering posted this 18 May 2021

The 30 Reece is very easy to form using .38 Spl cases. Be careful that you form the shoulder such that they close properly in the Contender.  I've never had a need for the 256 Win.  You would have to assess your needs as to necessary bullet weight, and desired velocity.  rp

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • highnoonhunter
highnoonhunter posted this 17 May 2021

I've been thinking about the Reese and Badger. But can't seem to get the 256 Win. Mag. off my mind. But I think the 30 cal. would be much easier to make.

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 30 March 2021

It is 2021 so I have a brief update. I'm still using the 30-165 and 13gr 4198. It is pleasant to shoot.  I get a bit of blow by at the neck so I'm looking to increase to 13.5 and possibly 14gr 4198. It performs well on the full IHMSA course. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
  • highnoonhunter
Richard Pickering posted this 02 August 2018

I had not considered the case volume of the 7.62x25 as a comparison.  It normally uses an 85 to maybe 100gr bullet. I want to use a 165gr. Thanks. 

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 02 August 2018

[email protected]

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 01 August 2018

Presently I have had the barrel out twice. I used 12gr 4227 and 12gr 1680 and the RCBS 165. There isnt enough data until I can get it on paper. 

Attached Files

Richard Pickering posted this 11 May 2018

Thanks for your experience. I wont have the barrel for another two weeks. I presently use a TC 32-20 for metallic Silhouette and the Reece cartridge seems close to it in volume. It will probably be six weeks before I have an opportunity to post results. 

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 04 May 2018

Shooting the .30 Herrett ,which is a similar cartridge, in CBA Long Range Handgun competition over a decade ago. I shot the SAECO #315 for 100 yards and the RCBS 30-165-SIL for 200 yards. These were in a heavy Bullberry barrel measuring 12 inches which just made the weight limit of 5 1/2 pounds at that time. The barrel has 1:10" twist and the chamber was tight, close neck tolerance. This barrel shot well, the action was tight, the trigger was 1 1/2 pounds and crisp. 

Testing heavier bullets like the RCBS 30-180-SP and 30-200-SIL showed too much recoil over the course of a match with the resulting fatigue affecting accuracy. When shooting at practice, the heavier bullets revisited wind better, but were very tiring over the course of a match. 

As my goal was competition, I used the lighter bullets. If not competing, then try the heavier bullets. They shot well in my .30 Herrett. 

Attached Files

Close