Coated 30 XCB bullets

• Last Post 14 August 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
res45 posted this 14 August 2019

Did a little small test on coating some bullets after applying the gas checks first to see how the powder coat sticks to the check.  I coated about twenty-five bullets using Eastwood Silver Vein and threw in a few other colors to fill up some space on the tray, I will gas check and size those later.  The coating stuck to the checks with no issues, stayed on while curing and after water quenching.

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Geargnasher
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
gpidaho posted this 14 August 2019

I would wonder if it made a difference if the coating stuck to the check or not. That might be a good test to see if one should check before or after coating. I decide by what fits best.  But, as you say, the coating seem to stick to the check just fine. Gp

Attached Files

jr460 posted this 14 August 2019

Did a little small test on coating some bullets after applying the gas checks first to see how the powder coat sticks to the check.  I coated about twenty-five bullets using Eastwood Silver Vein and threw in a few other colors to fill up some space on the tray, I will gas check and size those later.  The coating stuck to the checks with no issues, stayed on while curing and after water quenching.

Have you checked the hardness of the coating Magma reports  the commercial casters using the coating on bullets are running through up to 10 sizing dies every month I run over 1 million bullets per month and have some sizing dies that have been in use over 30 years . The point I am trying to say is a commercial sizing die are a hole lot harder than your gun barrel I just hate to see good barrels turned into junk in a few thousand rounds 

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

res45 posted this 14 August 2019

I have done some testing  with the XCB bullet coated with Smokes Translucent Copper, water quenched after the bullets were cured applied a gas check and let them sit for a couple weeks to age harden before loading so I know how the load will shoot with the check not coated.   I've done several load test and finally settled on 35.0 grs. of H-4198 in the Remington 770 in 30-06. 

It's a budget rifle I paid $200 for and it's topped with a fairly cheap but seem to be pretty accurate adjustment wise 4 X 16 X 44 scope.  I've only been doing my test in the back yard range at 50 yds. which is as far as I can safely shoot around here due to homes being all around me.  I generally find that anything that shoot well at 50 yds. shoot about as well at 100 if I do my part and thats about all I'm looking for, anything else is a bonus. Here is my 5 shot test target I shot a couple weeks ago. I can shoot this group on a regular basis if I do my part.

The closest public range is basically a day trip so I will go there later in the fall where I can access there 250 yd. range and it will be much cooler then. Basically 250 yds. is over kill around here as most hunting or target shooting is done at 100 yds. or less.  I'll load up a batch of the same load with the gas check coated and see if they give identical results.

Here is the chrono data to go with the above group.

Low: 2277

High: 2309

Average: 2292

Spread: 31.71

SD: 15.39

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • buckbrush
  • Geargnasher
Close