Characteristic Pressure Curves of Shotgun Powders-Black Powders-Dec 1924

• Last Post 07 February 2023
Bryan Austin posted this 06 February 2023

A great deal of us have seen the pressure curve chart, but maybe not as many have seen the whole description.

Note: It is my understanding from the information below that the powder charges were changed for each shot in order to maintain the same velocity...something not done during my testing [rifle loads] a while back. In my tests, the pressure curve results were based on a specific powder charge, not a specific velocity. Although my charts do not show for same velocity, this is evident enough that one should not load the 44-40 based on "velocity" as many have said. Aside from strong action rifles, with certain fast burning smokeless loads, one would never be able to achieve 1,300fps in a rifle without surpassing max pressure published loads and no signs of such high pressures on the primers.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 07 February 2023

i wake up at 2am and wonder about the oft quoted statement >>

" black powder best upsets the hollow base bullet "

ie ... hollow base bullets work best with black powder.

any comments, anyone ?  the above interesting graphs don't seem to agree with the above quoted thought ...

maybe modern minie ball shooters hae some experience .  

maybe i need to buy a hollow base mold for my 45-70 ...

ken

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 07 February 2023

It is not relevant to us, as it was done in a multi-piston 12 gauge shotgun with much greater expansion ratio than anything a rifleman uses. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close