cast bulletsfor rossi 92

• Last Post 22 December 2021
2frogs posted this 06 June 2021

Having just got this rifle 38\357 and some 125 and 158 grain cast bulletsI have made a few

dummy rounds in 357 and the damn things fail to feedand i have made them a littleshorter and

still issues. Any ideas?  thank you..

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Coydog posted this 22 December 2021

This is how I load 148 grain wadcutters.  They cycle and shoot well out of my Rossi 92.  I have much better luck using 38 cases rather than 357.   In my gun, 357's have to be kept to a relatively short OAL.  170 grain SWC's don't work in my gun when loaded in 357 cases.  My gun likes lighter bullets.  All the way down to 95 grain bullets meant for the 380.

this give me a idea to use also. thank you for posting . 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
2frogs posted this 21 December 2021

Do you reduce the load any when seating deeper. I have done this with some 44 mag bullets that are to long for my Henry rifle especially the 255 grain swc.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 21 December 2021

I crimp the #358429 & #358477 over the front driving band for use just in the Lever Guns. The #358156 feeds well crimped normally. 

But these days I just use the Lee #358-158- RF for simplicity. Works well in .357Mag or .38Spl cases equally well.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 21 December 2021

Sweet...

Attached Files

max503 posted this 21 December 2021

This is how I load 148 grain wadcutters.  They cycle and shoot well out of my Rossi 92.  I have much better luck using 38 cases rather than 357.   In my gun, 357's have to be kept to a relatively short OAL.  170 grain SWC's don't work in my gun when loaded in 357 cases.  My gun likes lighter bullets.  All the way down to 95 grain bullets meant for the 380.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
aka Carbine Dave posted this 20 December 2021

My Marlin 1894 in .357 is the same with some shorter rounds or 173gr SWC in a 38 special case I must use the down stroke nano second to jiggle the lever before closing the action and this insures feeding.

Attached Files

foesgth posted this 19 December 2021

Mine shoots both 158grain SWC and 158 round nose fine.  These guns come with a plastic follower on the mag. spring.  They often don't provide even pressure.  They hang up in the mag. at certain points.  I replaced mine with a stainless one from Steve's Gunz.  

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 19 December 2021

It's working fine now..still doesn't like the semi was cutters though. If I seat them a little deeper they work fine.. merry Christmas everyone.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
2frogs posted this 25 June 2021

Interesting.. still waiting for my missing screw. Going to change my extractor spring if that ever arrives.

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 25 June 2021

After  the action is used alot that it will work better. I found that in some of my other lever guns. they are Marlin and one Henry . My Rossi  is starting to work better after the more use it gets. I did had a part broke on it that I had my gunsmith fix and while he had it I had change some other things on it that it was know for problems and had him take the safety off of it also. Since I did not wanted it since for the half cock on it . It works for me . 

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 24 June 2021

The three original Winchester 1892s I have had all loaded, extracted, and ejected flawlessly whether worked slow or fast.

John

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 24 June 2021

Work the action hard and fast. The design was made to be used hard.

I was told the same from my friend the gunsmith that is what lever guns need to be used for . Because I got a lever gun in a 12 ga and he said that is the way it needs to be used and other ones . I use my Rossi 357 that way also.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 23 June 2021

Work the action hard and fast. The design was made to be used hard.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 23 June 2021

Appreciate your information. Been nothing but a pain in the ass for. I hear others say the same thing. Maybe I just got a bad one. Oh well,I haven't even shot it yet..

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 23 June 2021

I have had a 92 in 357 from new. I shoot a lot of cast in both 38 and 357 brass, same projectiles in both. 158gn round nose and round nose flat point. Usually the only time I have feed problems is when I am too gentle or careful on the lever. It needs a crisp deliberate and FULL stoke. A little pause, a nanosecond, at the end of the down stroke allows the new round to exit the tube and land fully in the elevator with the correct orientation. If you short stroke even marginally you will have problems. I load the pills to the crimp groove and give them a strong crimp. If you want COL info I can go measure them. I have 92s in 357, 44Mag, 44-40 and .454 Casull. Wonderful rifles! But they do not like a pussy stroke :-)

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • aka Carbine Dave
delmarskid posted this 13 June 2021

These are round nose they jam if I try to work the lever to fast. Maybe it just need to be broke in.
Mine was stiff when it was new. I oiled it till it dripped and worked the action while I watched TV. Maybe watch the follower move up and down to see if it catches . If you tie the hammer back with a zip tie it is easier .

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 13 June 2021

These are round nose they jam if I try to work the lever to fast. Maybe it just need to be broke in.

Attached Files

admiral posted this 07 June 2021

Many .38/.357 Keith SWC style bullets won't feed in some lever actions. The rifles need a rounded nose to feed trouble free. What kind of bullets are these?

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Coydog posted this 07 June 2021

Have you crimp your bullets? I had read somewhere that there is a problem on some with the follower ,I have a earlier  one of this rifle. and what ever I shoot in my BH  works in this rifle . Shoots on target. I had a problem with something broke and brought to my gunsmith and he you can say overhaul it and change the follower and remove the safety off of it also.  He test fire it like normal and found it is on target for 100 yrds on a 6" steel plate. 

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 06 June 2021

Tried longer? Mine fed button nosed 38  wadcutters when I seated them out half way. It fed flat round nosed 357 and 38's when I seated to the crimp groove. I wish I could tell you the over all length but I don't have the rifle and I didn't take notes.  

Attached Files

Close