Bullet for Schmidt Rubin

• Last Post 05 August 2021
John Alexander posted this 04 May 2021

I would appreciate any recommendations for a 150 -180 grain bullet for a well worn 1889 Schmidt Rubin.

John

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 04 May 2021

Two (If a new rifle does not shoot one of these, it gets traded):

• SAECO #315
  • RCBS 30-180-SP

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 05 May 2021

hi john .. i too have a 1889 S-R ... i have not yet shot it ...  got it just to look at ... but ...

since i have a RCBS 30-180-FN ...    maybe i need to try the old straight-pull out ..

what are you using for cases ? ...

thanks, ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
45 2.1 posted this 05 May 2021

Any information about which bullets and/or  sizing diameters that worked. I understand the bore and throat dimensions are not like O3s or Krags and I assume there is also throat wear. John

The '89's were built for a paper patched bullet. The throat in front of the case neck is quite large... something around .316" or more with a long tapered throat. To find something that works, have him measure the inside neck diameter of a fired case and size the base of an 8mm bullet so it seats in the neck without being too large for the chamber. The fore part of the 8mm bullet can be taper sized (if it doesn't chamber) in an enlarged LEE bullet sizing die. Take around a 0.315" die and polish the leade in so it's smooth and push the bullet in so it tapers (knock out with a wood dowel)  and will enter the chamber......... that is IF you want what the rifle is capable of producing. I've done this with the Lyman 323471 bullet with very good results.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • M3 Mitch
John Alexander posted this 05 May 2021

Hi Ken,  I am trying to get information who doesn't have a computer.

Any information about which bullets and/or  sizing diameters that worked. I understand the bore and throat dimensions are not like O3s or Krags and I assume there is also throat wear.  Anything to get him in the ball park would be helpful.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 06 May 2021

45 2.1   >>  thanks  ... looks like a fun project ...  

johna    >>  might give the guy my phone number we could compare notes ...

ken

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 06 May 2021

I made a case to work with the Hornady bullet seating depth gizmo which is on the way.

Wondering just how far I'll have to seat out in my 1889 to engage lands.

Have this NEI bullet with has a .311 driving band at the front. (not shown)

Perhaps double powder coating will make it fat enuf.

Attached Files

JohnForrest posted this 05 August 2021

Looking to join in the fun here, wondering how different my 1911 will be from k31?  Going to do a chamber cast and slug barrels before I try to do much. 

John

Attached Files

Close