bullet for 18"twist 40 cal

• Last Post 01 May 2023
  • Topic Is Solved
bullshop posted this 27 April 2023

I would like to hear from anyone shooting a 40-90 Sharps BN with the original 18" twist rifling.  I would like to get an idea of what bullet length/weight others are using 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
ten-mile posted this 28 April 2023

Mine are Remington 40-70 B.N. with what I think are 20" twist but your 18 is not so far away.  I use 350 grain bullets with very good accuracy.  400s were too heavy.  I took a 410655 and converted to nose pour then made an adjustable base pin to vary the weight.  I think I have an extra Saeco 350,

Attached Files

bullshop posted this 28 April 2023

Extra Saeco 350 ?    For sale ?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 29 April 2023

Accurate 40-252H is what I shoot in 16" twist 10x25R Bunny Gun and revolver. You may need to tweak diameter when you order.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Bud Hyett
bullshop posted this 29 April 2023

Thanks for that Ed .   I should have been more specific about my question as well as my goal.  My goal is to find the longest 40 caliber bullet that will stabilize  in the 18" twist of my barrel. I bought this rifle used and would prefer it had a 16" twist but it is what it is so I want to make the most of it for long range shooting which is normally out to 800 yards but occasionally farther. What I was hoping to find is a Postell type design at not over 1.25" and at close to 370 grain.

I have an old NEI mold for a bullet of that type but it is too long at 430 grain in the BHN-9 alloy I use. I am now wondering if there is a service that could convert this mold to a nose pour adjustable weight design.  If I could reduce the weight of this bullet to the target 370 grain the length should also be very close to the target 1.25"

That would be one possibility among others.  I have also started a search for the original Lyman mold for a 408" 370 grain round nose but that may be a rare gem.  I do have the vintage Ideal mold that was intended I believe for the 405 WCF which is a 300 grain round nose plain base .  It drops at about .412" but by nose first sizing can be sized down to a concentric .408"  I just wanted something with a little more weight that stays within the max 1.25" length to get the highest BC within my limits.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 29 April 2023

This probably won’t help but….

My rifle is a CSA Model 74 chambered in 40-70SS (40 2 1/2 stamped on the barrel). When I ordered it I asked for a16” twist, the standard was 18”.

I’ve settled on two bullets. A Paul Jones 415-grain “money” design that is 1.392” long. The other is a 420-grain Brooks paper patch design that is 1.403” long. The farthest I have shot the Paul Jones is 500-meters @ a NRA rifle silhouette match, 4 times. This rifle has never seen a jacketed bullet or smokeless powder, just holy black!

Tom

Attached Files

This probably won’t help but….

My rifle is a CSA Model 74 chambered in 40-70SS (40 2 1/2 stamped on the barrel). When I ordered it I asked for a16” twist, the standard was 18”.

I’ve settled on two bullets. A Paul Jones 415-grain “money” design that is 1.392” long. The other is a 420-grain Brooks paper patch design that is 1.403” long. The farthest I have shot the Paul Jones is 500-meters @ a NRA rifle silhouette match, 4 times. This rifle has never seen a jacketed bullet or smokeless powder, just holy black!

Tom

So your shooting these quite long bullets in a 16" twist ?  Those are much too long for my 18" twist   I think what I need is something like the Saeco #640 for their 370 grain BPC bullet design.  Looking for but not finding one.

Attached Files

Correct.

I do have the Saeco #740 410-grain mold that is what I use if not using the Paul Jones.

Tom

Attached Files

Correct.

I do have the Saeco #740 410-grain mold that is what I use if not using the Paul Jones.

Tom

I am looking for the Saeco # 640 the 370 grain version of your Saeco # 740 at 410 grain.  No luck so far in finding one.

Attached Files

If I had to rank commercial (non custom) molds, I think I would rank Saeco at the top of the list. I’ve had many over the years. RCBS and Accurate would be right behind Saeco and Lyman would be in the caboose. 

Tom

Attached Files

If I had to rank commercial (non custom) molds, I think I would rank Saeco at the top of the list. I’ve had many over the years. RCBS and Accurate would be right behind Saeco and Lyman would be in the caboose. 

Tom

I agree with that assessment  100%

Attached Files

beltfed posted this 01 May 2023

What you need for that 18 twist 40 cal is a bullet that is 1.25" long. Relatively blunt so as to 

increase the sectional density. Jim Kluskens and I determined that and Jim cut a mold accordingly.

It shot WELL in his 40-65 /18 twist. AND it knocked down the Rams for BPCR Silhouette.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

Close