BS LIST-Weighing powder charges to .1 grain

• Last Post 21 August 2018
joeb33050 posted this 09 August 2018

Weighing powder charges to .1 grain

A reasonable powder measure throws charges +/- .1 grain. Warren Page and I have written that weighing powder charges to .1 grain doesn’t reduce group size.

Threshold:  Any reasonable powder measure and scale-beam balance-will throw acceptable charges. My experience with electronic scales has reinforced my good opinion of about any beam balance.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 09 August 2018

I gave up weighting powder charges, except for powders that don't meter acceptably, When I was working with High Power and 30/06. Anything less than 2% of total weight seems to be OK.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 09 August 2018

I agree here, also.

Frank

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 10 August 2018

I only weigh charges for very MAX LOADS or special loads. Don't shot those MAX LOADS anymore. So I only weigh for special loads, such as 1.0gr of BULLSEYE in a .32 S&W short & wimpy for my little S&W Lemon Squeezer. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 August 2018

When I shot IBS and NBRSA and was mentored by the likes of Homer Culver, Wally Hart and Fred Sinclair, in cartridges such as the .22 and 6mm PPC, I never saw anybody weigh a powder charge. The all measured charges with H322 or similar powders using a Seeley-Masker or Culver measure.

In the early days of CBA I watched John Ardito carefully and he never weighed a powder charge either.

Same thing at Camp Perry for 1000 yards.  The big guns were more interested in case prep and weighing cartridge cases than weighing bullets or powder charges.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 21 August 2018

A reasonable powder measure throws charges +/- .1 grain. Warren Page and I have written that weighing powder charges to .1 grain doesn’t reduce group size.

I would agree with this..... however, not all powder measures produce good results with all powders, the bigger the drum hole, the less likely it throws small weight variations... BTDT. 

Attached Files

Close