black powder bullet lube

• Last Post 20 February 2018
loophole posted this 17 February 2018

Has anyone used Thompson Black Powder PS lube?  Does the stuff clean up with the same dish-washing-detergent and water cleaner I use for SPG and my homebrew  bees wax and neatsfoot oil lube?

Steve K

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BigMan54 posted this 18 February 2018

Call them and ask (888) 476-1500

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

admiral posted this 19 February 2018

I've used their purple BP lube on muzzle loaders bullets. It cleans up the same as SPG, NASA, or T/C bore butter. Warm water and a squirt of Dawn soap followed by a cold water flush.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 19 February 2018

admiral, 

Really, a COLD water flush ? I used to use boiling hot water back in the day when I still used soap and water.

Never heard of anyone using COLD water before.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

rhbrink posted this 19 February 2018

Cold water works just fine I have used it for years ever since a hot boiling water flush caused a flash rust. Oiled immediately without apparent damage but wonder how times it takes a flash rust to do damage to a fine bore?

Attached Files

admiral posted this 19 February 2018

Yup, cold water flush. You don't need boiling water to clean, warm tap works fine. Think of it this way, you are cleaning the fouled gun with a cup or bucket of water. The water source becomes a bucket of diluted fouled water with soap residue. A cold water flush in a different clean container washes off any remaining diluted fouling water or soap residue. Try it sometime. After you're done cleaning with warm water and think everything's clean, push a patch wet with cold water through the bore. There will be residue on the patch.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 19 February 2018

I have used the 3 part solvent of HYDROGEN PEROXIDE,  RUBBING ALCOHOL AND MURPHY'S OIL SOAP, for 25+years. Prior to that I used dish soap & boiling water. I cleaned the same way my DAD cleaned his ORIGINAL COLT NAVY AND KENTUCKY RIFLE. HE got them from his FATHER. Who taught him the boiling soapy water method. I know my Grandfather got those from his FATHER. Those guns were in remarkable condition. 

So I guess that hot soapy water and boiling water rinse with an oily patch rubdown inside and out worked pretty well.

Plus who want's purple lube. T/C Green Bore Butter is much more MANLY. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Dale53 posted this 20 February 2018

BigMan54;

I to use the three part solvent - we call it "Friendship Speed Juice" (National Matches at Friendship, IN). Then, I immediately apply Ed's Red. I leave the guns wet and three days later another application of Ed's Red, again leaving it wet. My guns (both pistols and handguns as well as Black Powder Cartridge Rifles and BPC Handguns) look like new after many thousands of shots.

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

Close