Best cast bullet powder for 30 06

• 4.3K Views
  • Last Post 16 November 2021
blackout52 posted this 30 October 2021

Question is  if you could only pick (3) powders to use in a 30 06 with cast bullets between 150gr to 170 gr . At speeds between 1700 fps to about 2000 fps. What powders would you choose? Will be using them for dear, and coyotes.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
res45 posted this 07 November 2021

Those ten targets were shot at 50 yds. they were all just a random selection of powder charges that amounted to about 2.0 grs. above the Min. charge weight and 2.0 grs. below the Max. charge weight with a given bullet weight.  Honestly I was just trying to gather some data to find some good starting points to work up some low, mid, and upper range loads that might shoot well in the rifle.  Basically all the above load were just a shot in the dark based on my years of shooting cast lead bullet in a variety of rifles and actions.  Around my neck of the woods, 100 yds. would be considered long range.

My rifle is a stock Remington 770 everything is as it came from the factory except for the cheap $50 scope I put on it. I like the higher magnification, and it seems to be holding zero and the turrets are pretty repeatable the past couple of years I've used it.

Not sure what you mean by load refinements, basically I just FL resize all my brass and trim as necessary, I don't do anything special to the primer pockets except clean them.  I try and stick to one particular brand of brass when I work up a big batch of ammo, but I have multiple brands of 06 brass and I haven't found any issues like flyers with a given load using mixed brass.  Primer are just standard CCI LR or Win. LR.

The two bullets used on the ten targets were the Lee .309" 170 gr. FP and the Lee .312" 160 gr. TL RN bullet.  Bullets were cast from 50% pure lead and 50% COWW and air cooled from the mold. The bullet used on the first target I posted was the NOE 30 XCB cast from the same alloy and air cooled from the mold as well.

The powder coat I use is either Eastwood or powders I get from Smokes over at the CB's After coating and curing I water quench the bullets to add some additional hardness, gas check and size to .309" and let them set for about two weeks before loading. I use a NOE two-step case neck expander before seating the bullet and finish it off with a med roll crimp.

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder.

Attached Files

res45 posted this 06 November 2021

@blackout52 here are some targets I shot as well with a couple different Lee bullets and various powders. All bullets were sized to 309" after powder coating and gas checked.

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 31 October 2021

Unique, 2400 and SR 4759 will cover the parameters you have quite nicely.

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 31 October 2021

3 powders that I've used over the years are 2400, Reloader 7 and IMR 4064. If I had to limit it to one I would chose 2400 only because it can be loaded slow enough for match loads and hot enough for deer. I've used it both ways with great results.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

res45 posted this 31 October 2021

My HV 30-06 load to date currently at 2292 fps. Five shot chrono data in my Rem 770 bolt gun using my 170 gr. 30 XCB bullet is with 35.0 grs. of H-4198.  Other than that, 2400 and Unique give me pretty much equal results at lower velocities.

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 31 October 2021

Accurate Arms 7, IMR 3031 and IMR 4227 have been good to me. The list of powders that do not work for the ‘06 could be shorter than ones that do.

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 31 October 2021

Given I shoot heavier bullets, I've had success with VV N-135, Reloder #7 and Varget. By heavier bullets, I mean 180 grain and above.

Also add in 2400 and Unique as powders that I use in many calibers for light loads.  

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • John F.
John Alexander posted this 07 November 2021

Very nice description of how you load. Thank you.  Your straight forward methods show that you don't have to do a lot of exotic things like turning necks, reaming primer pockets and flash holes, determining just the right powder charge or exact depth of seating to get high quality hunting loads.  If the rifle, shooter, bullet design and fit are good, excellent results with cast bullets usually follow. I will look forward to your future posts.

John 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Spindrift
  • Glaciers
Larry Gibson posted this 10 November 2021

Using my replicant M1903A3 NM Type II (has RA-43 four groove barrel) I shot a 100 yard target with 2 sighters and then 10 for score. 1st sighter was low left.  Moved Lyman M48 (w/quarter moa adjustments) right three, up three and shot second sighter.  Moved right 2 more clicks then shot 10 for record.

Load was the NOE XCB which runs 164 gr fully dressed cast of #2 alloy.  Bullets were WQ'd out of the mould.  Bullets were weight sorted, GC'd with Hornady GCs and lubed with 2500+ in a .311 H&I die then finish sized in a lee .310 sizer.  Cases were LC Match, fire formed and NS in Lee Target Loader.  The necks had been inside neck reamed with the Lee Target Loader also.  Necks were expanded and flared with a Lyman 31 M-die.  Primers were WLRs.  Powder charge was 20 gr of Alliant 240 with a dacron filler.  Ten shots chronograph at 15 ft (Oehler M35P) 1884 fps with an SD of 15 and an ES of 54 fps.

Scored 100 with 9 Xs.

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Shopdog
  • John Alexander
Spindrift posted this 31 October 2021

Just to add some european powders

-Vihtavuori N110 18-20 grs is great for 17-1800fps loads with 150-180grs bullets

-Norma 200, 26-30 grs works well for 18-2000+ fps loads

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Shopdog posted this 31 October 2021

If push came to shove,I could get away with 4198 and Varget in the '06's here.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Lee Guthrie
Rich/WIS posted this 01 November 2021

Red Dot or Blue Dot for mid range loads (1600fps) and Bullseye for mouse fart loads..

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • blackout52
John Alexander posted this 06 November 2021

res45,

Very nice groups.  Pleasel tell us more.  What range were they fired from? Your M-770 seems to be tolerant of a range of powders and load levels.  Did it require any rebedding or other tuning, if so what?

Did you use any loading refinements? What were the two Lee bullets? What brand and how thick was your powder coating. Your answers will e appreciated and helpful to others.

John 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Carlson
marktwo posted this 08 November 2021

"Blue Dot", 9.5gns, 165grs bullets.

Regards Mark

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Lee Guthrie posted this 16 November 2021

My NRA Sporter liked 180 gr RN designs by NEI and RCBS; cast of linotype; M&N lube; Hornady GCs; 23.5 - 24.5 grains of IMR 4198 or slightly more using non-cannister 8208; Winchester LR primers;  neck sized Remington brass after having been fired in that rifle; primer pockets uniformed; M die; no crimp -- just snug enough not to shake loose;  and seated to just kiss the rifling.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
blackout52 posted this 31 October 2021

res45, Very impressive !!

Attached Files

res45 posted this 31 October 2021

Thanks, sometimes I get lucky and hit it right off the bat, other times it takes a good bit of testing to find something I can live with.  

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 31 October 2021

res45--that sure is impressive! Is it easily duplicated?

Attached Files

blackout52 posted this 06 November 2021

I thank you all for all the input!

Attached Files

blackout52 posted this 09 November 2021

res 45, Thanks for posting the additional load data !!

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close