Article on the 35 Whelen

• Last Post 02 December 2020
longhunter posted this 30 November 2020

Need help.

I am looking for an old article on the 35 Whelen.  It was written about the 35 Whelen in Africa. It talked about loads and casting ect. Quite long several pages. I cant seem to find it anywhere.  Went to Cast pics...no luck. Looked here no luck. 

So a crazy old man who cant remember where the article came from or who wrote it, needs help trying to find it!

Dang getting old is no fun!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Pepe Ray posted this 30 November 2020

Consider the alternative to getting old. --- Although there are probably several gun writers who've done articles about the 35Whelan, the one that I favored was by Finn Aagaard. Although I clipped and filed as many of his works as I could find, the only one I have in hand is in a Wolfe Pub. book entitled "Selected Works." The article is entitled "Medium Bores--.338-06 vs. 35 Whelen".  The article contains some loads for both cartridges, along with comparative data such as max loads, sectional densities & coefficients and penetration.  It runs 6 pages including pictures.  I hope that this will aid you in finding what you are looking for.

FWIW I'm four score and 2 yrs.

Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 30 November 2020

Thanks, I'll look.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

beagle6 posted this 30 November 2020

jon

Your post aroused my interest so I Googled " article 35 Whelen in Africa" and all kinds of stuff came up. Hope this helps. By the way, thanks for your service.

beagle6

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 01 December 2020

Thanks Beagle,

And thanks for your service.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

lotech posted this 01 December 2020

I may be mistaken as I haven't seen the article in a long time, but I think Layne Simpson did a comparison of the .338-06 vs..35 Whelen for either RIFLE or HANDLOADER a long time ago. It was a comprehensive piece with load data. Aagard may have also done such an article, but I can't recall that one. 

Attached Files

Pepe Ray posted this 01 December 2020

While scouring through my messy files for more information for you, I came upon another clipped article in the American Rifleman file. By Aagaard, it's entitled "Another Boost for the .35 Whelen". The piece would require 7 pages to photocopy it, 'though probably only needing 3 or so if type written. Next, I will go through my Ross Seyfried files. This will take a while.---  Pepe Ray

Only in His name.

Attached Files

longhunter posted this 02 December 2020

Thank you!

What a group of great men we have here.

Jon

Jon Welda CW5 USA Ret.

Attached Files

Close