alloy

• Last Post 18 March 2022
beagle6 posted this 16 March 2022

I have come to the conclusion tha a a 30 to 1 alloy is very usefull in just about all my  pistols and black powder cartridge rifles. Problem is, I have lots of wheelweights but not much lead and tin. Anyone know how to blend the lead and wheelweights to approximate a 30 to 1 alloy?

Thanks

beagle6

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 16 March 2022

Using the calculator in the "CBA info" down loads, it says that 8 pound of pure lead and 2 pounds of clip on WW's will yield 9.3 bhn close to 30 to 1 that is 9.0. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
beagle6 posted this 17 March 2022

Thanks Ric. I would like to know more about calculato in CBA info. Where is it? 

beagle 6

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 17 March 2022

On the black banner on top of the web page, the far right, click on CBA Info. Then go down to "downloads" and go down to "ALLOY CALCULATOR". That will down load a little program in the old Excel. Works by just putting in the weights of your ingredients in the yellow fields and it calculates bhn. 

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 17 March 2022

https://castbulletassoc.org/download/Alloy12.xls

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 18 March 2022

8 pound of pure lead and 2 pounds of clip on WW's will give the correct BHN you want but the casting quality may be poor because of the low tin content. You may find adding a couple of ounces of solder will improve the casting with little change in BHN.

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • delmarskid
beagle6 posted this 18 March 2022

Thanks everyone.

beagle6

Attached Files

Close