Accurate 36-185H - optimized for WW2 S&W Victory Models in .38-200 or .38 Special

• Last Post 01 December 2021
Ed Harris posted this 30 November 2021

Accurate 36-185H is a double-crimp groove design.

Accurate 36-185H

The rear crimp groove is intended for use in .38 S&W brass for 1.275" OAL.  Use 2.2 grains to approximate the 620 fps service velocity.

The front crimp groove is intended for use in .38 Special brass for 1.555" OAL. Use 3.3 grains of Bullseye for a standard-pressure load for about 700 fps which is gentle on pre-WW2 S&W Hand Ejectors.

Its 1/2-caliber (0.18") meplat eliminates the soft-target tumbling behavior of the Mk2 service bullet, producing deep, straight-through penetration with good crush characterics, which improves performance on small and medium game. The nose shape is also speed-loader friendly and safe for tubular-magazine use in the Cowboy rifles.

By filling the double-crimp grooves  with SPG or 40-60 olive oil and beeswax, there is sufficient lube capacity to prevent foul-out in cowboy rifles and revolvers when loading black powder. 

Those who object to the bevel base should specify when ordering to shorten OAL by 0.03" eliminating the bevel to produce a flat base, which reduces bullet weight to about 178 grains, depending upon alloy, for a closer approximation of the WW2 Mk2 service bullet.   

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
M1fuzz posted this 30 November 2021

Looks like a decent bullet. I have a Victory model in .38 S&W I haven’t shot in a long time. May have to change that. I was using Starline .38S&W brass w/ Unique and a Lazer Bullets 158 grain round nose.

Did alright but, I am pretty sure the bullet was for a .38 Special so undersized.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Ed Harris posted this 01 December 2021

Cylinder throats on both of my Victory Model S&W and Model 32-1 Terrier are all .362. With Tom's normal tolerance of up to +0.002. you can load bullets as-cast and unsized, living with Lee Liquid Alox and you are good to go.

In prewar Colts and the India Model Rugers in .380 Rimmed, having .358 cylinder throats and .355 barrel groove diameter, size bullets to .358"

This is also correct for the .38 Special Victory and prewar Hand Ejector Models, the wartime Colt Commando, Official Police and earlier Army Specials.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Ed Harris posted this 01 December 2021

Can't edit on Android phone...Grrrr!

LUBING with LLA!

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 01 December 2021

That is why they make iPhones. 

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 01 December 2021

I'm sure Ed will tell us that Android phones can do things an iPhone can only wish for. They can but the level of expertise is much higher.

Dave

Attached Files

Close