Changing lubes in lubrisizer

• 4.4K Views
  • Last Post 08 February 2015
badammo posted this 28 August 2013

I have been using the Lyman Moly lube and have changed to the black powder gold as I am casting the 500 grain .45 cal. The question is how to get all the old sticky moly lube out. It has mostly gone now but seems quite a hassle scraping it out. Or should I just buy another lubrisizer and start my own collection?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 08 February 2015

The collective wisdom is good, Clean in hot water today and start looking for an extra lubrisizer or two, at gun shows and club events. I've got four; one for black powder lube, one for pistol velocity lube, one for rifle velocity lube and one for competition lube.

Boil long enough to get the body hot enough to have the residual heat dry all the nooks and crannies within the lubrisizer. This boiling takes the grease off the shaft that attracts dirt and makes a rubbing compound. Lubricate all the pins in the apparatus after it cools including the main shaft, cover the main shaft with a dry lube..

While boiling, the lube that floats to the top makes good flux for ingot casting. You will be surprised at what a variety of lube colors and smells can come out of a Star lubrisizer.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 08 February 2015

I have tried boiling a lube/sizer and it works well. However, I now use a heat gun, holding or propping the sizer over a container and heating it until the lube runs out. Keep in mind, with this method you CAN overheat it. Newspaper soaked with grease makes fine tinder, so do NOT overheat. I've not had a problem with this but suspect you CAN overheat if you don't pay attention, so WORD TO THE WISE...:taz:

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 11 September 2013

badammo wrote: Thanks guys. I will probably save a lot of hassle and just get another luber and have them with the two lubes I use.

It's really not that hard or time consuming to just strip it down & put the lubersizer body in a pot of boiling water. Takes about 10 mins. To take it apart & the same for putting it back together. Put the body in a pot of boiling water & let it “cook” for about 15 mins. Then pull it out. Presto! Clean sizer! I just did that to a #45 & a #450.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

badammo posted this 28 August 2013

Thanks guys. I will probably save a lot of hassle and just get another luber and have them with the two lubes I use.

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 28 August 2013

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=40>Ken Campbell, Iowa imho, if your castings dont need a gas check, and you will be using not over a thousand or so .... it is easier, faster, and simpler to just apply the lube with your fingers ...

A friend of mine does the same thing and then he uses a McDonalds coffee cup with a bullet size hole in the bottom and pushes the bullet thru to clean off any lube not in the groves.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 28 August 2013

A couple of times changing lube, will help you see the wisdom of having multiple machines. I have three Lyman 450s.

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 28 August 2013

You can disassemble lube/sizer and use a hair dryer to heat and melt old lube; drain over newspapers.

I've found a need for two lubes on a regular basis - one for low velocity handgun loads and another for higher velocity rifle loads. A second lube/sizer serves the purpose well.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 28 August 2013

imho, if your castings dont need a gas check, and you will be using not over a thousand or so .... it is easier, faster, and simpler to just apply the lube with your fingers ...

i havent used a classical sizer-luber for 50 years ...

if i want square gas checks i use a LEE push-thru or variation.

besides, now you get to gently massage each baby bullet's butt ... makes them shoot better , i think ... ZEN in action !

ken

Attached Files

Michael K posted this 28 August 2013

This is what works for me. Take the sizer die, plunger, screw and other guts out. Prop it up at a good angle i.e. 30-45 degrees, with the top down on an old cookie sheet in a oven just warm enough to melt the lube. The melted lube will run out on to the cookie sheet. Any remaining lube can be wiped out with a rag or paper towel.

My favorite method is over time picking up good used lubrasizers at decent prices and eventually having one for each lube that is used.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 28 August 2013

badammo,

Well, I have two RCBS, a Cramer and three Lymans', all with different lube. What can I say, but it works for me.

Ric

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 28 August 2013

badammo; Take your lubsizer off of the bench and boil it. Preferably in a container large enough to cover the whole thing with water and then let it cool over night. the lube will harden on top of the water and you can remove it before you take the sizer out. The other ways are with a heat gun, solvent, and or your oven. In the interest of safety and domestic tranquility just boil the darn dirty thing. Brodie

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Close