Lead Shot !

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 04 July 2013
Rich22 posted this 01 June 2013

Does lead shot contain Tin as a ingrediant? Any comments would help? Cant seem to sell it as shot; so will use it for bullets! Thanks! Rich 22

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Coydog posted this 02 June 2013

I know it have animty I know I did not spell it right but that is what I know it have . But if you use it for bullets . add it to your lead alloy to harden up your alloy. you will be good to go also go to the website rotomeatals and they have reclaim shot and they say there what it is made of from what I know of if not contact them . But you would use it as a additive to alloy .

Attached Files

Rich22 posted this 02 June 2013

Tnx for the onfo! I was not aware of that information.

Attached Files

vmwilson posted this 03 June 2013

Usually when one melts shot for casting it's used because it contains arsenic which is useful for heat treating.  Chilled shot may contain some antimony but far as I know shot doesn't contain tin or at least any useful amounts of it for sure.  I'd trade that shot to a reloader for something more useful to a caster.  BTW it also melts rather strangely due to a graphite coating on the shot.

Mike

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 03 June 2013

What size shot is it? That may be the problem. Target sizes of #9, #8, #71/2 go for over $40 per 25lb bag here in the northwest. We cuss it but we pay it when we have to. Larger sizes are unpopular because of the ban on lead shot for hunting. Good luck if you have any quantity.

Attached Files

Rich22 posted this 03 June 2013

Tnx Russ! Problem is it is #4,#5.#6. A 25lb bag of each. Will try to find a trader at the club. Maybe a turkey hunter might be interested? Rich22

Attached Files

MaryB posted this 09 June 2013

How much for the #4? I live out in SW MN and use it for pheasant hunting reloads.

Attached Files

Rich22 posted this 09 June 2013

Hi Mary! How about $30 for the #25 lb bag? Problem I can't ship for that money. I live here in Little Canada, just few miles north of StPaul. If your going to be in the neighborhood? Let me know? Rich22

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 11 June 2013

Wow MaryB,

Do your pheasants wear bulletproof vests?

6 and 7 1/2 used to get them here in the NW.

Although I will admit I always did like #5. Riddle a few but no crips!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 11 June 2013

Uncle Russ wrote: What size shot is it? That may be the problem. Target sizes of #9, #8, #71/2 go for over $40 per 25lb bag here in the northwest.  

I ordered a bunch at the shop the other day and dealer cost was almost $42 a bag before I added in the cost of shipping and a small profit !

When I quit shooting skeet and trap competitively back about 1992 the cost was $19-21 a bag and I thought that was highway robbery !

Attached Files

Rich22 posted this 11 June 2013

Hi Russ! Please read the postings above. We have chatted about the shot size and I did get a response from Mary. If they were trap or skeet size they would have been gone long ago. They are 4,5,and 6. The scrap yard will pay $1. a pound. That's a waste though. Good Shooting; Rich22

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 11 June 2013

About Mary's shot size choice: with long shots due to flushing dogs, #4 shot is a very reasonable shot size choice. with close working pointing dogs and close shots, I prefer #7.5 shot.

Gary

Attached Files

MaryB posted this 15 June 2013

I rarely get to MPLS, I am out by Redwood Falls. Will it fit in a flat rate box?

Attached Files

MaryB posted this 15 June 2013

When I go out to South Dakota a lot of the shots are long range with 2 dogs out front working most of the time. Occasional close in but rare.

onondaga wrote: About Mary's shot size choice: with long shots due to flushing dogs, #4 shot is a very reasonable shot size choice. with close working pointing dogs and close shots, I prefer #7.5 shot.

Gary

Attached Files

Rich22 posted this 15 June 2013

probably; but you will have too pay for the shipping ! Rich22 Ps: send email to [email protected]

Attached Files

MaryB posted this 04 July 2013

Shot arrived, nice stuff!

Attached Files

Close