.32 H&R Magnum

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 11 April 2013
PETE posted this 10 April 2013

A few days back I got out the Ruger Single Six in the subject caliber. Been playing with the RCBS-32-98- SWC.

What I'm looking at now is the Lyman 311008. My mold casts it at 115 grs. out of range scrap. Did a search here and all Isaw was a single(?) message without any specific info. This was a few years back so am wondering if anyone has been playing with this caliber and/or bullet in the mean time and what they're doing with it.

Pete

P.S. Strange that no one would even hazard a quess in my “Curious” thread a few days ago.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 10 April 2013

:coffee    Well, Pete, the story goes like this....lol.  I used both bullets in 32-20 before loading 32 magnum for a little NEF trail gun.  I worked up and down the loads with Bullseye. 

1.4 grain Bullseye with 32-098 SWC will do everything out at 50 meters but generates some heat running that slow.

1.9 grains drops the heat and moves on out to 100 meters. 

In 32-20, I used 2400 a lot and got better accuracy from the lighter 98 grain rather than the Lyman 115 grain bullet.  Although, the difference was a scoped 100 meter result.  The 115 grain would really make the better hunting bullet possibly.

I also played with a Lyman hollowpoint mold from Erik Ohlen.  It was kinda neat to shoot but, I never noticed the difference. 

Attached Files

I call that little revolver “possum killer” because I shot an opossum at 1:30 am that the neighbor's beagle pup had cornered. It's good for following my coffee cup around, just a light little house and yard gun.

The mold is a Lyman 311316 hollowpoint. :fire

Attached Files

:coffee   Oh, look! I can mess up posting with all the clicky buttons, lol.

Attached Files

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 10 April 2013

I also have the Ruger SSM and mine shot good with the 98 grain SWC and 7.5 grains of Accurate Arms #7. Chronographed at 1100 fps.

Attached Files

I originally bought the 311008 for a Colt in .32/20. But now I'd like to give it a try in the Ruger Single Six. So, would like to find loads for the above bullet or ones of similar wgt. without having to re-invent the wheel.

Pete

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 10 April 2013

I used the 3118 sized .313” from WW's + 2% tin, Federal 200 primers and 7.0 grains of new Alliant 2400. Seated the bullet in the top lube groove since it doesn't have a crimp groove, and crimped into that. Worked fine for the SSM I had and still use it in a single shot rifle. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Ric,

Thank you. Will be a good place to work around. I've got a pound of Alliant 2400 but couldn't find anything suggesting even a place to start.

Pete

Attached Files

Here's the two Contender scoped loads in 32-20.  Same 2400 powder. 

Attached Files

Vassal posted this 11 April 2013

:hijack::hijack::hijack:

Hey am I reading correctly? Are you using cast in a 7mmTCU?

VERY INTERESTED. I always wondered if that would be a good cast caliber.

Attached Files

Close