180gr plain base in 7.62x54r

• 4.7K Views
  • Last Post 02 April 2013
usmc0331 posted this 30 March 2013

I'm looking for a good mid range load using a plain base cast bullet for my 91/30 that wont lead the barrel. I was thinking about the ideal 180gr rn pb. Any thoughts. Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 30 March 2013

I use a plainbased version of the CBE 240-grain bullet for the .303 British, with 12 grs. of #2400, imagine #311284 with no GC heel. What I have is this bullet with the cherry run in short so there is no GC heel, weighs 225 grains in wheelweights. Also use it in my Krag.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

usmc0331 posted this 31 March 2013

Thank you,sir. What is the fps on that bullet with that load. Also, is it possible to buy a bullet in that weight. I don't cast my own just yet but, I am very interested in the heavier bullets for my mosin. About the heaviest i've seen sold is 200gr. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 March 2013

With plainbased loads without a GC, soft alloys are best at moderate velocities below 1400 fps. Most commercially cast bullets are cast of hard alloy about 16 BHN, which is excessive for plainbased bullets without a GC because they will be too hard to upset and seal properly.

In the 7.62x54R you want a bullet of diameter at least .313", whereas most commercial cast bullets you can buy will be no larger than .311.

If you want to buy an off-the-shelf commercial mold without going the custom route, the Lyman #314299 (210 grains in wheelweights) is a good choice, sized .313 or .314 from wheelweight alloy, with 11-12 grs. of #2400 if not using the GC, for about 1200 fps or 15-16 grs. with a GC for about 1450-1500. These loads do fine for 200 yard shooting and approximate .32-40 ballistics. A load which is working well will shoot better than FMJ ball ammunition and not lead. You should expect 4-5 inch groups at 200 yards when things start working. With a scoped rifle you can shave an inch off that.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

usmc0331 posted this 31 March 2013

I think that will be a good choice. What would you suggest for hunting. I would like to hunt with cast also. Will the 314299 be a good choice for deer and hogs?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 31 March 2013

For hunting you really want a flat-nosed bullet.

If your finances permit, consider having the #314299 modified to flatnose by www.hollowpointmold.com with a cup point for hunting purposes. This is a 175-grain plainbased bullet I use in the .30-30, just to illustrate the nose shape you want. It started life as an RCBS 30-180FN, but typical to RCBS molds, the bands cast too small in soft alloy and the bullet did not shoot well without the GC. I had Erik bore out the GC heel to make a wider .312 base band in plain base, then do his inset bar HP conversion, shortening the nose and enlarging meplat diameter from .187” to. 250". Bullet weight was reduced from 188 grains in 1:25 alloy to 174-175.

When the hollow-point core pin is installed, the ogival nose is truncated at the point the pin diameter intersects with the existing nose radius. So the bullet will be shortened a bit, a modified #314299 would probably drop to 190 grains or so with this mod.

This particular bullet has a .25” diameter meplat, which is about as large as will feed, leaving just a bit of the original nose radius. Not obvious in this photo is a small cup point 0.6 of the meplat diameter with 60 degree draft. All you need is a bit of a stress riser to help initiate upset. This expansion test in water jugs at about 1300 fps using 1:25 tin/lead. This approximates what you would get 100 yards downrange launching a GC bullet at about 1800 fps.

If you want to try a few plainbased bullets from my modified molds on hogs, PM me with your shipping address and I'll send you some. But if you have good luck with them I expect you to write up your results and take pictures for a Fouling Shot article!

Attached Files

linoww posted this 01 April 2013

A .312 dia 190g PB with 11.0 Of TrailBoss shoots well from my scoped Russian 91-30.The Lee 155g Harris bullet without GC also does about as well.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 April 2013

That is about what my M28/30 Sako with the worn, salt & pepper, lapped bore does. My M39 arsenal rebuild with new 1968 barrel and PU scope does a bit better, but point is that 3” groups at 200 yards are attainable with these ifbullets fit, are well lubricated and you tweak the loads.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 01 April 2013

I dont use GC bullets much anymore in mine.A sub 5” group at 200 is more than good enough for all i ever want to do.Up to 100 the 3118 i another i like.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

mckg posted this 01 April 2013

Can any GC bullet be shot without the check with the same accuracy (at appropriate speeds) or do some designs, like Ed's, do better? Should the shank ride the bore...?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 01 April 2013

Most GC bullets do OK in light loads without the GC. Determining factor is whether the base band is large enough to seal the throat. If it is not, gases will leak past the base and deform the bullet.

The bore-riding nose should be large enough that if you poke the bullet point into the muzzle and force it in by hand that you can feel resistance, and see engraving on the nose when you remove it.

Attached Files

mckg posted this 02 April 2013

Thanks Ed.

Attached Files

Close