Components Glut

• 5.5K Views
  • Last Post 10 May 2013
Pigslayer posted this 09 February 2013

As most of us know that horrible massacre created not only a nationwide gun grab but also a reloading component grab. I was down to about 300 small pistol primers when that guy up north went nuts and after that the shelves emptied of reloading components. They are starting to trickle back in as I was able to get 1000 sm pistol primers today . . . At a premium price! After this scare is over you can bet I'll order 5000 of everything! I bought a new .38 Special at a local gun store named Hendershots today & it looked like they had just gotten in a good supply of handguns as the gun cases were full. But again the place was packed with people buying handguns.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bisley posted this 12 February 2013

I would agree. I saw this during and after the Great Panic of 2009-10. Grafs told me they had not seen it this bad in over twenty years, and after the midterm election, the primers and powder were available again, and to boost sales Grafs was offering to throw in the (then) 25.00 HAZMAT fee. have been telling people at work to just wait until Easter when all this stuff goes on sale.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 12 February 2013

I have not been to Hendershots since they moved the store from Hancock to Hagerstown. I always enjoyed looking at the stuffed game trophies, hornet's nests and antique guns hanging from the walls and ceiling.

What is your verdict of their new digs vs. the old ones. More important, is there a good family-owned, non-chain style restaurant within walking distance? I still go to Hancock to eat at Weavers.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 12 February 2013

Ed Harris wrote: I have not been to Hendershots since they moved the store from Hancock to Hagerstown. I always enjoyed looking at the stuffed game trophies, hornet's nests and antique guns hanging from the walls and ceiling.

What is your verdict of their new digs vs. the old ones. More important, is there a good family-owned, non-chain style restaurant within walking distance? I still go to Hancock to eat at Weavers. Ed, I had never been to their old store so I can't compare it to anything. The new store is in a newly renovated bldg and is quite nice & yes the stuffed animals are on display. They have a nice selection of ( expensive) rifles. I really think that they are going to need more room though. No, I don 't know of any family owned restaurants near. Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

mike morrison posted this 13 February 2013

I was at a gun show Sunday. I watched a man pay $100. for two 550 round boxes of 22lr. After the sale the man at the table told me the day before he sold 8 boxes for the same amount. After that i noticed other tables with 22lr for $7. $8. a box of 50. 223 wad $1. a round. No primers. Small amount of rifle powder in 1 lb. but marked up. AR's were $1500. and up. Don't own one and not interested so did not look closely. Crazy times. m

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 13 February 2013

"The sky is falling. It hit me on the head.” I looked on line last night for 22lr and all I came up with was bird shot loads. Sad times.......again.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 13 February 2013

People thought I was crazy when I bought 2500 rounds of 22 LR for $50 last summer. Now I wish I had bought some black powder, FFF. None available for 150 miles, at least. Ric

Attached Files

longround posted this 13 February 2013

I have learned to accept the price gouging on ammo and reloading components,but what got my attention was the suv with a Obana-Biden bumper sticker flanked by NRA stickers on each side. This vehicle in the parking lot where the gun show was held last Sat-Sun. Guts,no guts,unions, or just in your face? TK

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 13 February 2013

Ed, nothing within walking distance of the new Hendershots. They have the same stuff they had at the old store, minus the clothing. Still worth the trip. If any of y'all want to meet up at Hendershot's, I can lead us to a variety of good eats within a five minute drive. Better yet, why don't we have a rifle frolic someplace in conjunction with browsing and eating?!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 13 February 2013

gnoahhh wrote: Ed, nothing within walking distance of the new Hendershots. They have the same stuff they had at the old store, minus the clothing. Still worth the trip. If any of y'all want to meet up at Hendershot's, I can lead us to a variety of good eats within a five minute drive. Better yet, why don't we have a rifle frolic someplace in conjunction with browsing and eating?!

Soooooooo, when do we meet at Hendershot's? I have a membership at the local Rod & Gun club. Been itching to shoot my flinters!

Pat

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 February 2013

We got my gunsmith buddies CZ550 in 505 Gibbs from Hendershot's !

I think it was at their original place as we got it about 3-4 years ago .

They had it listed on Gunbroker and shipped it to us , so neither of us has visited their shop .

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 13 February 2013

heh heh i saw an ad in a local paper to sell 3 box of mj bullets for 45 acp ... $30 ...adding $10 for gas, still not too bad ...  called to see if still had them ...he meant $30 each box ...hey, what happened to friendly Iowa farmers ?

dang mule traders ...

ken

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 14 February 2013

Pigslayer- PM sent!

Attached Files

corerf posted this 14 February 2013

Here is the deal in the BIG CITY toilet, Los Angeles area.

An AR that sold for $650 in December, hoge poge frankenstein upper/lower- Now $3000 and there are none at that price to buy.

Any tactical weapon- NONE. And I stress NONE-.

Everybody who bought an 80% lower to sit on has now milled it and sold off their registered lower. A massive flood of factory lowers have hit the market to feed the NON-gun owners desire to fill a hole in their life.

Every 22 rifle has doubled in price, unless brand new. Then there are none.

Magazines or specific types, $100 each, used and cash flows like water in a flood.

22LR is the new barter commodity rather than gold and silver. This is NOT an exaggeration.

If you think $50/carton for 15 year old 22 LR is high, folks here are getting $70/carton from those who have NONE to shoot.

9mm federal Walmart ammo is not 9.99 nor 11.99 but $25/box and none avail except on the street in trade. $40+ for a box of same in 45ACP.

223 brass is not pushing $150-175/k, Nato or not, 1x, 2x, 5x fired doesn;t matter.

If you have 1000 pieces of 55 or 62 gr FMJ-BT pulls from pats Reloading before the shooting, they are no longer valued at .09 per bullet but at .21 per-- with none to be found unless your fast on the trigger.

Powder is trading at $35 per lb daily, Varget, 4895, 332, 335 are all at $50/lb, varget can go higher that that on a given day.

primers are rationed by retailers with 2 flats a day at $4/flat. They will sell a carton if your in the KNOW. If not, thats what you get and SRP and SRPM are trading at $70+/carton on the street.

Backorders are being delivered and the 223/5.56 prices are dropping back to .60/round but have been as high as a $1/per and sold in 1000 qty at that price.

Guns, common types are flowing in the used market fine and at normal prices. Unless your an idiot. Matter of fact, many good deals can be had. Assault styled guns, zero inventory or really outrageous prices. If its potentially going to be banned, its 3x priced. Sporting models don't exist on shelves and only the plastic junk models of anything are finding their way to the shelves and at modestly exaggerated prices.

And so the moral of my story- You should have learned in 2008/2009 that when there is a Presidential change to the left, or bad doddoo happens or could happen, you'd better invest in your sport in advance of your need and stockpile what you can. Yes, speculation.

The LIGHT at the end of the tunnel is this: When backorders are taken to over 1 year periods, retailers stop them completely. This is where we are now. Time and piss poorly executed legislation and our fine Constitution WILL indeed allow the market to resume a new elevated norm with inventories back at normal levels. When that occurs, a GLUT or overabundance at the big boys houses will offer HUGE INCENTIVES to buy massive quantities if desired at WELL BELOW market price. This means your primers you've been buying factory fresh at your local mom and pop will move from $3-4/flat, $30-40 per carton, to below $20/carton with no limits on purchases.

Powder like Green Dot and Herco will sell for $14/lb, 4895 will be sold cheaply to reduce inventories.

Cabelas CAN'T renig on a backorder. Once they place an order from Alliant, it's a done deal. Same with Grafs, Midsouth, Natchez, Midway, CTDirt, etc. There WILL BE a bomb that goes off in the big box components dealers warehouses, material will flow like water as they reduce their incremental loses and resume good cash positions. Bang, CBA members need to buy 15k CCI #400's and bite the bullet.

This is NOT prophetic at all, this is historically accurate, I survived it and thrived in the midst of it. Thrived! History will repeat itself. Duh!

Times have changed and this will happen again and again and again.

On the other hand, powders like Varget that are mfgd outside the US- were screwed. The mfgr tastes US dollars (fatter ones) and they go for broke. Varget will stay elevated, 'cause it's worth every penny you spend on it. There is NO SUBSTITUTE for cubic inches and Varget. These are two undeniable laws of physics not defined by Newton or Einstein. These are God Given laws we live by.

Ric--- you should have purchased BP and caps and lots of Pb straight up. They will mitigate part of the 2nd Amendment, modern firearms. We will get tossed back 150 years and be shooting SS rifles and pistols for sure. BP never goes bad. Crisco and Beeswax will always be here. As long as there is fat to render, wood to char, a haystack to pee in and a volcano or seeping crack of hot water on earth, we will have BP. These things I say above, are truth in whole, not just in part. This is the gospel according to Mike.

I have lived and learned. Im not rich but have means to shoot as I keep a careful eye on the sporting arms market and I trade in it on a daily basis.

The LIGHT will not bee seen until September at the earliest but more than likely 2014, March or so. This is the timeline. Retailers learned a hard lesson last time around and as much as their margins went up and sales too, when the B/O flood was unleashed, they had bills to pay. This time retailers shut down B/O's as early as two weeks in. last time, 2 months. A big difference INDEED. There will be a shorter window with less inventory to make the KILLER DEALS. I run a small company and have kids and wife. If I have time to do this type of careful market watching, then likely you do too.

Take care, rest assured. Time is on your side.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 15 February 2013

Well, Mike, I have about 2000 pounds of WW's and enough lead and lino for my life time. I have enough primers for ten years of shooting.

I bought a case of black a few years ago, and shot some and sold some to friends and just didn't get around to ordering another 25 pounds. I have about 3/4 pound here, someone on the board is sending me another 3/4 pound. I will just use FF in the pan of the flintlock.

What money I have now is going into food storage, Rx storage for the wife, and whiskey.

Ric

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 15 February 2013

Who has molds for my pellet rifles?

Attached Files

gnoahhh posted this 15 February 2013

I'm hoarding a huge pile of river stones for my sling shot. What truly scares me is the paucity of atlatl heads around here.

Attached Files

corerf posted this 15 February 2013

I must have offended gnoahhh. Had too look up paucity and atlatl. Shortage of spear heads. Your above my pay grade with those two words.

Ric thats awesome. I misinterpreted your response for sure. Your making headway in the Rx department, I have yet to go there. No life sustaining meds in service in my home, thank God. My BP meds (not settled as to which one will be finally the right one) though, are month to month. W/O them, I just feel like poop, I won't drop dead in a week though.

Ric I would have high fived you on the 22 LR deal. In the last 6 years, it has been proven that if you don't prepare for a famine of sorts, you WILL be without.

Attached Files

Lead weight posted this 17 March 2013

If I didn't cast bullets for my handguns...I wouldn't be shooting!

I bought 2000 pistol primers on the day of the Newtown masacre, should have bought 4000!

2 weeks ago at the local gunrange/store I go to, I could still buy primers, and some powders, but the primers doubled in price. I bet before too long they will be triple the price on primers.

Kevin :lovecast:

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 30 March 2013

Lead weight wrote: If I didn't cast bullets for my handguns...I wouldn't be shooting!

I bought 2000 pistol primers on the day of the Newtown masacre, should have bought 4000!

2 weeks ago at the local gunrange/store I go to, I could still buy primers, and some powders, but the primers doubled in price. I bet before too long they will be triple the price on primers.

Kevin :lovecast:

Scored another 1000 Large Pistol primers today. There's a little gunshop near my home that seems to be able to keep reasonable well stocked considering the times. They have a real good selection of rifle powder but weak on the pistol powder. That's OK, I have enough pistol powder to load about 10,000 rounds. Enough to keep the “wolves” at bay! I also just scored 45 lbs. clean, pure lead for about $1.00 per pound.

Pat:dance

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 May 2013

The components are out there. It's a matter of a sharp eye & quick fingers. Scored a couple of more pounds of Unique today

Attached Files

Close