Loading advice for my .32 long rifle bunny gun

• 8.7K Views
  • Last Post 29 January 2013
fineredmist_7 posted this 13 January 2013

I have been following the bunny gun threads here for some time. I couldn't stand it any longer so I bought one of the 7.62 barrels from green mountain, and I machined an action. If anyone is interested I will post pics later.  The stock work is almost done. I have a RCBS 150gr cowboy mould, and I have a lee .311 rb mould. I am interested today in loading information from Mr. Harris concerning his experience with heavy bullets in small cases. I have 100 ct of 32 H&R mag brass and 50 ct of 327 federal brass.  I saw some loading information about a write up Mr. Harris did on the S&W  casing loaded with the 150 gr bullets, and I am curios to see what he recomends for the longer casings :)

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
fineredmist_7 posted this 29 January 2013

looking down into the finger lever at the spring plunger that applies pressure to the link to hold the action open and closed

Attached Files

fineredmist_7 posted this 29 January 2013

here is the breech block separated from the finger lever.

Attached Files

fineredmist_7 posted this 18 January 2013

The piece marked #21 in the pile-of-parts photo is the toggle between the lever and the breech block. The plunger showing in the previous photo is used to hold the block open and closed, by putting pressure on the toggle link. there is a groove machined into the lever and a pin for the toggle link. I made my receiver from a block of grade 70 mild, normal mild is 36, or 36000 lbs/sq inch my breech block is drill rod from fastenal. I think the most interesting thing about this action is that there are only two pins penetrating the sides of the receiver. and they are retained by two set screws that are hidden by the stocks.

Attached Files

Reg posted this 18 January 2013

It helps. Having trouble understanding the link lever to breech block relationship. I think I see it but if you had another view I would greatly appreciate it. Perhaps more laid out in relationship. Do appreciate your patience. As if you couldn't tell, am trying to get the full picture in my mind than will see about making one. Number one son has a small block of heat treated 4130 ( @ Rc 32) and another piece of 3/4” round that should work up into one neat package. Thanks Reg

Attached Files

fineredmist_7 posted this 18 January 2013

if this pic doesn't answer your question I will take a new pic for you

Attached Files

Reg posted this 17 January 2013

Could you show another pic of the linkage and it's relationship with the breech block and the lever. Couple of things there I am just not getting through my thick head. Thanks

Attached Files

fineredmist_7 posted this 17 January 2013

I have not found anything like this action in either of my De Haas books. I have a photo from the thread where I got the drawing that shows all of the parts, spread out on a table. I am speaking with Mr. Alexander about writing the article.

I mounted the extractor in the forarm similar to the ballard, although it isn't attached to the barrel, only mounted in the wood.

Attached Files

Reg posted this 16 January 2013

THANK YOU !! Looks like a “Frank deHass” drawing to me. Nice job! Couple questions if you do not mind. Do you have a parts legend ? Not really needed but if you had it , it would be nice. You mentioned you had a issue with the extractor, did you go to a sliding type like a Ballard on the bottom of the barrel ?

Please do get with John Alexander on this. It would make a very interesting article in the Fouling Shot and in the article you could go into greater detail.

Again, thank you.

Reg

Attached Files

fineredmist_7 posted this 16 January 2013

My receiver is 1 1/4” thick so I gorilla glued two pieces of 5/8 plywood together.  The forend is made from a piece of micro-lam that I found in a scrap pile at a nearby construction site. I was able to cut two buttstocks and two forends from that piece of scrap.  I had however already inleted the plywood buttstock. Here is what they looked like before sanding.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 16 January 2013

Thank you for the drawing and pics!! Very neat design. Did you lay up your own laminations for stock ?

Attached Files

Here is a better pic of the stocks after I stained them last night.

Attached Files

The action in the drawing is chambered for the 45-70. The drawing doesn't show it but the receiver is 1 1/2” thick. I had some issues with the extractor as it is drawn because the barrel tenon diameter is smaller on my action. I mounted the extractor in the forend.  That is what the slot is for.

Attached Files

here is the drawing I started from.

Attached Files

Fg1 posted this 15 January 2013

Very clean lines on the action ! More pics and info please !

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 January 2013

fineredmist_7 wrote: Thank you Ed, for your time. I  have been thinking about making a breech seater for this rifle, but that might be a hinderance when chasing bunnies.  What are your thoughts on the AA# 9 load of 9.6 grs that suggest a load gave me?

Haven't used AA#9 at all. Years ago in my Remington 788 chambered in .32 Long, which Ellis Lea also had, we had good luck with WW630, which is now discontinued, but probably similar to #9. Don't remember what charges we used...

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 15 January 2013

Reg wrote:

"As a quick thought to John Alexander, would this make a good feature article for the Fouling Shot ?"

Thanks for the suggestion Reg.

I do think it would make a great article for the Fouling Shot and will personally pay for a one year membership to the CBA for fineremist_7 if he will write one.

John

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 15 January 2013

I have a Thompson Center Carbine in .32 H&R Magnum (J.D. Jones barrel).

A load I have used with good results is a hundred grain Keith bullet (group buy) ahead of 10-11.0 grs of H110. I also have used a 120 gr RF cast bullet ahead of 10.0 grs of H110 (both bullets are plain base).

These are excellent small game loads.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

fineredmist_7 posted this 15 January 2013

Thank you Ed, for your time. I  have been thinking about making a breech seater for this rifle, but that might be a hinderance when chasing bunnies.  What are your thoughts on the AA# 9 load of 9.6 grs that suggest a load gave me?

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 January 2013

fineredmist_7 wrote: I have 2400, H 322, and RL-7.  I loaded 8.5 gr, 9.0 gr, and 9.5 gr of RL-7. The 9.5 gr charge was compressed in the starline 32 H&R mag cases. So I don't know how MR. Harris got 10.5 gr into a S&W long casing.

Breech seated, filled to case mouth with 10” drop tube then compressed ala black powder. Was also OLD RL-7 which is denser than the current stuff.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Reg posted this 14 January 2013

finerredmist_7

Looking forward to any and all info you would be willing to share. I like the appearance of the design, it has a clean look to it. Have thought of making one of the Vault Lock rifles but have seen a couple of them at the Colorado Collectors shows in years past and they are massive to say the least. Strong but there is a LOT of metal there. You seemed to have shrunk things and made it a lot more appealing in size and that coupled with the “bunny gun” concept looks like it makes one nice handling outfit. As a quick thought to John Alexander, would this make a good feature article for the Fouling Shot ?

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close