Green Dot / 357 Mag

• 3.6K Views
  • Last Post 20 January 2013
CB posted this 07 January 2013

I got out the other day for some plinking around. I had some ammo I had inherited from an old gentleman in one of my previous clubs, Richard who passed away a few years ago. I was shooting his reloads and found this Green Dot load shot well. Thanks Richard.

I'm so impressed that I'm going to load some of this with my own components. Thought I'd pass this info along with any of you other 357 handgun shooters.......Dan

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
nimrod posted this 07 January 2013

Well how good did it shoot?

That is on my list as a powder to try in handguns.

Richard

Attached Files

CB posted this 07 January 2013

Don't really know how well it shot. I shot at a piece of paper 20 paces away laying on a hillside, shooting off the hood of my Jeep. Shot some pop cans same distance and hardly missed. But I do have some Green Dot to get rid of.

I don't have a bench rest here and don't have my accurate load here to compare to. My accurate load is with Bullseye 4.3grains with a 148gr SWC. I do my handgun load development at my hometown club's indoor 50ft range off a bench.......

Attached Files

corerf posted this 07 January 2013

I love my Green Dot in handgun! Versatile.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 08 January 2013

I like it in a 38 spec case but have never tried it in a 357 case.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 08 January 2013

I use green dot in my 10ga.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 January 2013

I used 5 grains of Green Dot in .357 for years with almost any plain-based bullet from 146-180 grains and it has always shot well.

Using the Saeco #348 double-end, bevel-based wadcutter, seated and crimped to the crimp groove, in .357 brass only, this is a full charge wadcutter giving about 1050 fps in a 4 inch revolver, which should not be exceeded, but it is accurate, averaging 1-1/2” at 50 yards firing from my BSA martini with 6X Unertl scope.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 08 January 2013

I did read a while back, I can't quote to source cause I forgot just where, but that Green Dot was one of the best kept secrets of handgun powder selection. For what that's worth.

Richard

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 09 January 2013

nimrod wrote: I did read a while back, I can't quote to source cause I forgot just where, but that Green Dot was one of the best kept secrets of handgun powder selection. For what that's worth.

Richard

And how does it compare to other flaked powders such as Blue Dot, Red Dot and Unique?

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 09 January 2013

I have never loaded Green Dot in hand gun loads but I have thought about it many times just never tried it. I wish I had all the $$$ I have spent on Blue Dot loading 44 mag.

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 January 2013

Lillard wrote: I have never loaded Green Dot in hand gun loads but I have thought about it many times just never tried it. I wish I had all the $$$ I have spent on Blue Dot loading 44 mag.

I too have used Blue Dot in a full charge for 44 Mag. It lit up the whole inside of our indoor range. My buddies thought I blew up my 44. What muzzle blast! :shock:

This Green Dot / 357 load is a medium-mild load......

Attached Files

Lillard posted this 09 January 2013

One of my 44s has a 4 in barrel the other one has a 4 5/8 I like the faster burn of the Blue Dot .You are right about the muzzle flash. I like 15 grains and a RCBS 240 swc gas check. I ordered some powder and primers last week and thought about getting some green Dot but I talked my self out of it. I was tring to stock up on some stuff that I was low on.

Attached Files

ubetcha posted this 09 January 2013

nimrod wrote: I did read a while back, I can't quote to source cause I forgot just where, but that Green Dot was one of the best kept secrets of handgun powder selection. For what that's worth.

Richard

I also have heard about Green Dot being a well kept secret in a handgun.I heard it was from someone at Alliant that said it

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 09 January 2013

TRK wrote: nimrod wrote: I did read a while back, I can't quote to source cause I forgot just where, but that Green Dot was one of the best kept secrets of handgun powder selection. For what that's worth.

Richard

And how does it compare to other flaked powders such as Blue Dot, Red Dot and Unique?

Very accurate midrange loads is what I understand that it excells at. I can't say from experiance but I'm going to find out.

RB

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 09 January 2013

How does Green Dot meter through say a Lyman 55?

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 09 January 2013

I have several #55's. If the drum isn't loose - some fit tightly some don't you won't get the occasional cutting of a flake (like you most always do with long stick powders).

Even with that I've found #55's to measure very consistantly. Throw a charge, measure; throw a charge, measure - after a number of times of 10 in a row being as close as I can measure being the same - I just measure a couple and get on with life.

Attached Files

markshere2 posted this 20 January 2013

I recently scored an 8lb keg of green dot. Anybody have experience running it in semi auto handguns? .45ACP .40S&W OR 9MM?

Attached Files

Close